Re: Microsoft Says Xbox 'Abuse' Led To Fire That Killed Baby

____/ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Monday 08 October 2007 21:38 : \____

>> So this rolls off lawyers' tongues just as readily as words such as
>> laches, waivers, estoppals, unclean hands, remoteness, etc.
>
> Yeah, it was the callousness of this statement that got me.   It may
> be that the lawyers for auto and tire manufacturers talk the same way
> when people have been killed.  But losing your baby, that hits pretty
> hard, I can't imagine anything worse.  You'd think a little sympathy
> for the family wouldn't hurt their case.
>
> Actually, sometimes I favor the corporations in product liability
> cases, and I believe that in some cases they have gone too far.  But
> designing a cord so it won't overheat is just such basic engineering,
> that it can only be gross incompetence to put out such a defective
> product.  Or maybe it was just the huge rush to get a product out the
> door, which seems to be the Microsoft way.
>
> Let's just say this.  If you apply the same standards to Xbox as you
> apply to cars and tires, this family ought to have a big settlement.
> It seems there are other cases of fires started by Xbox, too, although
> I don't know if anyone was killed.
>
> BTW, the Xbox has had other overheating problems.   That seems to be
> what was behind the product recall this summer.
>
> <Quote>
> The temperature gap with room temp was 22 degrees C. "When designing
> consumer products, it is common to seek a temperature gap of around 10
> degrees C between exhaust and room temperatures," the thermal design
> expert said. "The 22 degrees C is quite a large gap..."
>
> · The cooling fan was half of desktop PCs-apparently to reduce noise.
>
> · The expert pointed out, "The heat sink on the graphics LSI is so
> small, I wonder if it can really cool down the board." The reason for
> this? Apparently, Microsoft had to downsize the graphics LSI heat sink
> so that the DVD drive could be placed above it.
>
> · In five minutes after booting up a game, the graphic LSI heat sink
> temp rose to 70 degrees C. In 15 minutes, the temperature for the
> microprocessor heat sink stabilized at 58 degrees, but the graphics
> LSI heat sink reached 80 degrees C. If the room temperature was high
> (like 35 degrees C), the heat sink could possibly hit 100 degrees C.
> What's more, if the vents were clogged with dust, the temperature
> could also increase.
>
> The console repaired in May 2007 did not have a new heat sink placed
> in it.
> This is bad design. Really, really bad.
> </Quote>

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/microsoft/japanese-thermal-expert-examines-xbox-360-figures-out-whats-wrong-hint-everything-286400.php

The project's leader left the company a few months ago. Another one (Bach) got
caught engaging in crime (inside trading before the admission of a XBox360
fiasco). And then you have some other stories...

XBLA's Ross Erickson leaves Microsoft, heads over to Sierra Online

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course, this follows XBLA General Manager Greg Canessa's
| departure a couple weeks back. While having two of the most
| senior Xbox Live Arcade execs jump ship in a two week time
| span after a particularly long string of subpar Wednesdays
| -- nothing, Ms. Pac-Man, Lumines add-on, nothing, Root Beer
| Tapper, Paperboy, nothing -- might seem to imply certain
| disaster, Ross insisted that he and Greg's decided to
| leave under entirely different circumstances.
`----

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/02/20/xblas-ross-erickson-leaves-microsoft-heads-over-to-sierra-onli/
http://tinyurl.com/25s6he

XBLA main man jumps ship

,----[ Quote ]
| In somewhat surprising news, Greg Canessa, the big guy behind
| Xbox Live Arcade, has left the Microsoft compound for PopCap Games.
`----

http://www.destructoid.com/xbla-main-man-jumps-ship-29716.phtml

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    make install -not war
Tasks: 173 total,   1 running, 172 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie