Re: [News] Open Source Approach Shows Its Advantage; Radiohead Takes the Open Route

  • Subject: Re: [News] Open Source Approach Shows Its Advantage; Radiohead Takes the Open Route
  • From: "[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 15:05:32 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

> Radiohead album bets on fast release, open pricing

'And the price? Fans can pay what they want. The price listed at
Radiohead.com says simply: "IT'S UP TO YOU."'

Also related:

NIN (Nine Inch Nails) Open Sources its Music:

http://www.9inchnails.com/remixes/

That's two of my favourite artists both taking a more open, reasonable,
and common-sense approach to music distribution.

> http://www.news.com/Radiohead-album-bets-on-fast-release%2C-open-pricing/2100-1025_3-6212107.html?tag=nefd.top

Here's another:

> Music industry attacks Sunday newspaper's free Prince CD
>
> .----
> | The eagerly awaited new album by Prince is being launched as a free
> | CD with a national Sunday newspaper in a move that has drawn
> | widespread criticism from music retailers.
[...]
> | The singer had signed a global deal
> | for the promotion and distribution of Planet Earth in partnership
> | with Columbia Records, a division of music company Sony BMG. A
> | spokesman for the group said last night that the UK arm of Sony BMG
> | had withdrawn from Prince's global deal and would not distribute
> | the album to UK stores.
> `----
>
> http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,2114557,00.html

The industry is changing for the better (better for us, not so good for
the greedy music execs). The backlash on this particular story was
disgusting, and highly revealing of the sick ideologies in the music
industry. Nothing is allowed to exist unless it can be financially
exploited? No one may choose to give away their own work? Nothing may be
freely shared? People are a "human resource" that only exist to be
milked to feed the hierarchy? People and their work are mere "products",
that have no value beyond financial gain? Where's the "art" in "artist"?

The sooner the current music distribution model dies, the better for all
of us. Judging by recent events, that day may come sooner than we think.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "OOXML is a superb standard"
| - GNU/Linux traitor, Miguel de Icaza.

 15:03:59 up 60 days, 13:58,  2 users,  load average: 0.23, 0.22, 0.20