[News] Windows Needs to Give Users the 4 Freedoms to Success in the Future

  • Subject: [News] Windows Needs to Give Users the 4 Freedoms to Success in the Future
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 11:33:14 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
If I Were in Charge of...

,----[ Quote ]
| If I were in charge of Microsoft, I would open source a mid-tier product.
| Just one to start with, but I would use a real open license, like GPL or BSD
| or APL, etc. I would build a community infrastruture around it and let my
| employees watch and finally realize that open source, when properly done, is
| a good thing.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2007-10-05-024-26-OP-BZ

Another new article:

The Four Freedoms Applied to Software as a Service

,----[ Quote ]
| The Free Software Foundation has defined Four Freedoms related to software.
| These freedoms apply to users of software, not necessarily developers. In the
| view of the FSF, these freedoms are ethical in nature, so much so that they
| argue that software which violates these freedoms is unethical.
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2007/10/the_four_freedoms_applied_to_s.html

Related:

MICROSOFT: Is It Time to Open Source the Windows Operating System?

,----[ Quote ]
| Bill Gates had a particular dislike for OSS, but given that his role at
| Microsoft is being steadily reduced, there may be others at Microsoft who see
| a viable business proposition in the idea of an open Windows. It would, at a
| stroke, deal with the antitrust rulings against it - both current and future.
| It would pull in developer support to spread the cost and burden of
| maintaining the 'beast', and it would still allow Microsoft to reap the
| benefits of products based on the platform. The opening up of the OS to
| competition will be balanced by the increase in adoption of Windows by those
| hitherto unhappy to be locked-in to a proprietary OS - it would certainly
| cause many adopters of Linux to pause for thought.
`----

http://www.enterprisenetworksandservers.com/opinionw/art.php?330

Dear Mr. Gates: save Vista, open-source it

,----[ Quote ]
| Although Microsoft may claim otherwise, Vista, from both from a technical
| and business point of view, is proving to be a failure. Why not turn it
| over to people who have shown time after time that they can deliver
| the goods?

| "In the long years since XP was launched, Apple have come out with five
| major upgrades to OS X, upgrades which (dare I say it?) install with about
| as much effort as it takes to brush your teeth in the morning. No nightmare
| calls to tech-support, no sudden hardware incompatibilities, no hassle. Why
| hasn't Microsoft kept up? Unmaintainable"
|
| "Right now, Microsoft has nowhere to run, and nowhere to hide. After all
| the hype surrounding Vista, the Emperor has finally been revealed in all
| his naked glory. Some folks have been predicting the demise of Microsoft. I
| wouldn't go that far, but I am wondering how we?re ever going to take
| Microsoft seriously again?"
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/04/29/vista_end_dream/

A history of Microsoft Windows - the inside story exposed

,----[ Quote ]
| 2004: (...)
| THE MANAGEMENT: "What do you mean it still doesn't work? Try
| harder!"
|
| 2005: (...)
| "MAKE IT WORK! FOR GOD'S SAKE, MAKE IT WORK! Well, throw it away
| and use the server version then, that seems all right. Look, they
| won't know the difference, drop the database stuff, nobody remembers
| what we said in 1995 now! That was ten years ago! "Apple has what?
| 3D acceleration? So, we have DirectX. What, in the desktop? Really?
| What, even Stallman's beardie-weirdies have it? Oh hell. Right, you
| lot, make it look like this!"
|
| 2006: Windows Vista
| THE MANAGEMENT: "Look, if we trickle it out to those mugs, I mean,
| valued customers who've already paid, we can say we released it this
| year and it'll buy us some more time..."
|
| 2007: No, really Windows Vista, honest
| MARKETING DEPT: "Never mind the features, look at it! Isn't it shiny?
| Yes! Pretty!"

Microsoft admits Vista screwed - report

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista SP1 is code named "Fiji", presumably after a pretty looking
| island which is paralysed by coups.
|
| In a statement regarding the service pack Microsoft admits that
| Vista has "high impact" problems.

MS Insider: The Office Crew Isn't Smart Enough to Supplant Real Windows
Developers

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.emailbattles.com/2006/09/11/ms-insider-the-office-crew-isnt-smart-enough-to-supplant-real-windows-developers/