[News] GNUgle is Gaining on Microsoft in the Office Suite Space

  • Subject: [News] GNUgle is Gaining on Microsoft in the Office Suite Space
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 20:37:04 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Office wars: Google vs. Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Unlike traditional office software, the online version of these products are
| usually sold by subscription, with companies paying an annual fee per user.
|
| [...]
|
| Google has had some early success - companies like Procter & Gamble and
| General Electric are experimenting with its Premier Edition host of
| applications, paying $50 per user per year.
`----

http://money.cnn.com/2007/10/04/technology/business_software.fortune/index.htm?source=yahoo_quote

Competitors are chipping away at Microsoft Office

,----[ Quote ]
| Today, however, some powerful challengers are chipping away at the Office
| edifice. They have significant outside backing, they're compatible with
| Office documents, and best of all, they're free - something that Office
| definitely is not.
`----

http://www.newsday.com/business/yourmoney/ny-ffdnc5401065oct07,0,7980595.story

Related:

Google Poses Biggest Threat To MS Office, Readers Say

,----[ Quote ]
| Readers have a lot to say about free/alternative office suites (as in,
| alternatives to Microsoft's dominant Office product). Presented with a
| growing list of alternatives, they conclude that Google Docs is a viable
| threat to Microsoft.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2007/09/google_poses_bi.html

Google Apps Catches Flak

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is launching an anti-Google propaganda campaign.
`----

http://blogs.wsj.com/biztech/2007/09/11/google-apps-catches-flak/?mod=yahoo_hs

Microsoft Retaliates With 10 Reasons Not To Use Google Apps

,----[ Quote ]
| This, of course, brought Google even closer to rivaling Microsoft's Office
| suite, which has now spurred a reaction from the Redmond software giant.
|
| No, its not new software or updates for the popular productivity suite, but
| rather Microsoft's own reasoning on why businesses should NOT use Google
| Apps.
`----

http://www.profy.com/2007/09/11/microsoft-retaliates-with-10-reasons-not-to-use-google-apps/

Will Google Loosen Microsoft's Grip on Large Enterprise?

,----[ Quote ]
| It’s got to be frustrating to sit in Redmond today and watch the world go by
| without having much of a grip on it anymore.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070910/46884_id.html?.v=1

Out of the office

,----[ Quote ]
| Nobody's better at defending its turf than Microsoft of course, so this will
| not be a quick or easy war.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/commentary-watch-out-microsoft-google/story.aspx?guid=%7BD0EF1345-0BC4-459A-A780-8F861CEEAE40%7D&siteid=yhoof
http://tinyurl.com/2lxuct

Microsoft, IBM feel heat from Google Apps

,----[ Quote ]
| Google Apps, a hosted service, is gaining traction primarily in universities
| but is a welcome addition to enterprise software because of its simplicity
| and ease of use, said Rob Curry, director of Microsoft's Office business
| platform group, during a panel discussion today at the Enterprise 2.0
| conference in Boston.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=5938333&rid=-50

No Demand For Browser-Based Microsoft Office?

,----[ Quote ]
| Raikes said the browser-based application space is extremely
| important to watch, but there is not a lot of demand now for
| Microsoft Office in the cloud.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070427/33730_id.html?.v=1

Google manager: Google Apps replaced Microsoft Office at 100,000 businesses

,----[ Quote ]
| Google's newly released online productivity suite Google Apps has
| already replaced Microsoft Office at more than 100,000 small to
| medium enterprises and has been deployed at two of the largest
| companies in the world, according to the search leader's
| enterprise product boss.

Dumping Office for Google Apps

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://videos.webpronews.com/2007/02/07/dumping-office-for-google-apps/

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has warned Google to steer clear of corporate search,
| declaring that the market is "our house"....
|
| "Those people are not going to be allowed to take food off our plate,
| because that is what they are intending to do."
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2160431/microsoft-warns-google-business

Google flirts with online OS

,----[ Quote ]