[News] Free Software is Already Everywhere (Under Everyone's Noses)

  • Subject: [News] Free Software is Already Everywhere (Under Everyone's Noses)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 14:17:45 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
FOSS: The major players in Linux and free- and open-source software

,----[ Quote ]
| As free and open source software receives greater attention and recognition,
| several companies and packages are emerging as clear leaders and important
| influencers as well as visionaries that are sure to make a mark in the very
| near future. Here are my picks for who’s making a mark today and tomorrow on
| the FOSS world.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/14686/1054/

Google, WordPress... everyone is exposed to them all the time.

Related:

Reaching into small spaces

,----[ Quote ]
| You may not know what Linux is, but there's a good chance you use it
| every day. It's not a household cleaner or a prescription drug, but a
| form of software that is spreading beyond corporate computer networks
| into electronic devices such as personal digital assistants, TiVo
| boxes, navigation systems and home routers.
|
| Before long, it could be in your cell phone, too.
|
| "Just about everyone in the developed world is encountering embedded Linux
| in some form or fashion every day," said Chris Lanfear, an analyst
| for technology market research firm Venture Development Corp.
|
| And that's good news for consumers.
|
| Although Linux-based devices are virtually indistinguishable from those
| that run on other kinds of software, the Linux infrastructure should
| bring down the cost of many high-tech gadgets. What's more, users
| benefit from more frequent updates by device manufacturers and the
| possibility of new and better software options in the future.
`----

http://www.newsobserver.com/104/story/493978.html

Other smart devices with Linux inside - Smart cameras and video servers

,----[ Quote ]
| Here, we take a look at a wide variety of interesting Linux-powered
| gadgets that don't fit into the other categories of this guide --
| everything from web-enabled digital cameras, to automobile
| telematics systems, to IBM's Linux wrist watch, to...
`----

http://linuxdevices.com/articles/AT2478437967.html

Consumer Electronics: Closing In on Open Source

,----[ Quote ]