[News] [Rival] Linux Experimentations and Switchings in Progress (and Other Threats to Microsoft)

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Linux Experimentations and Switchings in Progress (and Other Threats to Microsoft)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 12:15:31 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
4 steps to try Linux

http://mckooiker.byethost5.com/blog/?p=26

Threats to Microsoft's franchises multiply

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's nightmare scenario is a relevance shift to the Web, and it's
| happening. It's a natural progression," said Joe Wilcox, editor of the
| Internet newsletter Microsoft Watch. "Google is to Microsoft as Microsoft was
| to IBM."
`----

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-micro1oct01,1,3031913.story?coll=la-headlines-business&ctrack=1&cset=true

Related:

Linux ready for the desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| McLaren said the cost of security alone in the standard desktop, is at
| least "50 percent to double" that of Linux.
|
| He believes the primary inhibitors to large-scale Linux desktop adoption
| are Windows applications, especially Excel macros, and a perception of
| a large training cost associated with the move.
|
| "There will always be a migration cost for any large project, but this
| will be dramatically lowered over time," he said. "You need take a
| long-term view and realize security and admin costs will be lowered. We're
| not saying everything should be moved over at once."
|
| McLaren cited car rental company Europcar as having "success" by moving
| call centre people and branch office systems to Red Hat's desktop.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1555287553;fp;4194304;fpid;1

Switching from KDE to WinXP

,----[ Quote ]
| You probably do not use your computer in the same way I use mine. That
| is exactly why a rich and configurable feature set is so important --
| everyone will have different situations, different preferences, and
| different ways of using their computers. A feature-rich, configurable
| desktop like KDE allows people to work how they want to work. The MS
| Windows XP desktop is more of a "one size fits all" or "any color as long
| as it is black" desktop. One with limited features. Some people may not
| mind that; I do. Surprisingly, I have yet to find any feature in WinXP
| that made me say "Wow! I wish KDE could do that."
`----

http://www.osugisakae.com/writings/lin2winxp/linux2winxp_1.html

FREE FOR ALL

,----[ Quote ]
| Is Linux ready for the desktop? You bet it is! I've been using the free,
| open source operating system exclusively on my laptop, a Lenovo IBM
| ThinkPad X60s, for the past three months. And it rocks!
`----

http://www.mybroadband.co.za/nephp/?m=show&id=4252

Dump Linux now!

,----[ Quote ]
| Don't get me wrong: I still love GNU/Linux. It's just gotten. . .
| boring. It's no longer the undiscovered country, the wild west, the
| final frontier. Forgive my metaphor mix-o-rama. I just want to say,
| Linux is so ready for the desktop, it's boring.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/dump_linux_now

The Linux desktop is convenient, now we need convenient Unix network services

,----[ Quote ]
| Everyone generally agrees that Linux is now "ready for the desktop".
| People can usually hook up their digital camera or scanner in Linux
| and easily start "doing the right thing", with no geeky tinkering
| under the hood. There is plenty of device driver support in the
| kernel now, and brilliant technologies like hotplug, HAL and
| D-bus make everything nicely event-driven.
`----

http://ca.blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-RkGSoVA1brWtXrVH9Gr5CzgVujwwGg--?cq=1&p=41

OS expert forecasts a future beyond Windows

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.itbusiness.ca/it/client/en/Home/News.asp?id=43320#24133678758720056516