[News] Linux Deployed in Dublin Institute of Technology

  • Subject: [News] Linux Deployed in Dublin Institute of Technology
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 12:06:12 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Dublin Institute of Technology installs thin client computer lab

,----[ Quote ]
| The SunRay laboratory will provide staff and students with access to Solaris
| 10, Suse LINUX and Microsoft Windows. In addition to a student lab of
| SunRays, an increasing number of staff have installed SunRay devices as
| laptop or desktop replacements.
`----

http://www.irishdev.com/NewsArticle.aspx?id=5761

Wrong type of Linux though.

Recent:

Kubuntu Takes Over the Canary Islands

,----[ Quote ]
| The Canary Islands have two derivatives of Kubuntu, one which is being
| installed in all their schools and one used by the largest university.
`----

http://fridge.ubuntu.com/node/1142

All Macedonian students to use Linux desktops

,----[ Quote ]
| NComputing announced this week that its multi-user virtual desktop software
| and low-cost virtual PC terminals will be used to equip every school child in
| the Republic of Macedonia, formerly part of Yugoslavia, with a Linux desktop.

Russian Linux (ALTLinux) to be installed in every school in Russia

,----[ Quote ]
| Russian OS is to be installed on every school computer in Russia by 2009.
| Furthermore, every pupil will get the opportunity to operate the applied
| software produced in Russia, Leonid Reiman, acting Minister of Communication
| stated at a press conference. According to Mr. Reiman, that might
| significantly reduce Russian dependence on foreign software.
`----

http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn.shtml?2007%2F09%2F14%2F266177

U.S. schools may join inexpensive laptop project

,----[ Quote ]
| A project that aims to deliver low-priced laptops with string pulleys
| to the world's poorest children may have a new market: U.S. schools.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSN2642385520070426

'Open Source' software goes to SouthCot

,----[ Quote ]
| “We felt the need to organize this kind of activity to prop up the interest
| of young students, like us, about FOSS, Linux and other open systems,” said
| Muyco, a junior student of KNCHS.
|
| Fernando Hilomen, KNCHS principal, said they will present the integration of
| Linux systems and FOSS in the school's computer education curriculum as well
| as recognize the achievements of the students under the program.
|
| [...]
|
| The KNCHS ICT Education Program formally adopted FOSS in 2006 following the
| installation of a Linux computer laboratory granted by the DTI's PC for
| Public Schools Phase 3 (PCPS). The DTI has installed at least 14 Linux
| computer laboratories in this city and various parts of South Cotabato under
| the PCPS-3. (Allen V. Estabillo / MindaNews)
`----

http://www.mindanews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3253&Itemid=141

'Open Minds' want Linux and open source in American schools

,----[ Quote ]
| Many other countries are turning to Linux and open-source for their
| school-house computer needs, and now there's a conference for those who want
| to bring it to schools in the U.S.

Open source booming in K-12 education

,----[ Quote ]
`----