[News] [Rival] Novell/Microsoft Discuss Their Stupid Fling (Podcast Available)

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Novell/Microsoft Discuss Their Stupid Fling (Podcast Available)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 12:02:16 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Podcast of MTLC meeting about the Microsoft/Novell deal

,----[ Quote ]
| A few of the highlights that I recall: This was done because customers told
| Microsoft that they expect Microsoft to reach out and have a bridge to Open
| Source Software (at 9:50), the Mono project's Silverlight Linux port called
| Moonlight is "endorsed" by Microsoft (22:20), Suse Linux sales are up 243%
| (34:00), and this deal got Linux into Walmart's IT department (57:50).
`----

http://danbricklin.com/log/2007_07_17.htm#msnovell

And the more you find out, the uglier it looks. They didn't even have Microsoft
introduce the patents at the last minute. Novell knew what it was getting
into.

Yesterday:

The Novell-Microsoft Wheeler Dealers Speak

,----[ Quote ]
| But the main takeaway, as they might put it, for me
| is that this is an anti-Red Hat deal, and Novell is thrilled about that.
| Justin Steinman reveals that to market their SUSE Linux Enterprise Server
| against Red Hat they ask, "Do you want the Linux that works with Windows? Or
| the one that doesn't?" It's just appalling. Let me ask you developers who are
| kernel guys a question: When you contributed code to the kernel, was it your
| intent that it be used against Red Hat? How about the rest of you developers?
| Is that all right with you, that your code is being marketed by Novell like
| that? I also have questions about antitrust issues, with Microsoft being
| Novell's partner in such deals and sales pitches. Nothing speaks louder about
| Microsoft's true determination never to be actually interoperable than this
| conference.

How much is Microsoft's patent protection worth?

,----[ Quote ]
| Novell has a duty to the community to sell its excellent open-source software
| for what it is: excellent open-source software. It should not (as it does -
| I've talked with its salespeople - and which it has gone on the record as
| noting that it does) use lame patent FUD and equally lame patent protection
| to sell that software. It does not need to. We don't expect better of
| Microsoft - it has been competing this way for decades. But we should expect
| and get more from one of our own.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9788106-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Selling your soul is clearly worth the money (Novell)

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2007/09/selling_your_so.html