Re: BECTA$ reports Micoshaft to Office of Fair Trading

____/ 7 on Saturday 20 October 2007 17:40 : \____

> Mark Kent wrote:
>
>> 7 <website_has_email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> I reckon Ubuntu people should send in a couple of liveCDs to
>>> every school and college free and warn them to stop purchasing
>>> any more Micoshaft products pending the outcome of the
>>> Office of Fair Trading investigation. In the mean time, try out
>>> Ubuntu and Kubuntu disks free of charge and write to their
>>> IT heads to insist that free software be distributed to children,
>>> parents and teachers alike.
>>>

>> The problem actually runs rather deeper than you'd think.  Quite a lot
>> of fairly essential software for schools (grading/testing, as well as
>> financial management) is very much Microsoft-only, which means moving
>> off an all-MS environment is tougher than you'd think.  It's not
>> impossible, though, and we're looking at it at my school.
>

> All it requires is one person(s) to unlock the key and the
> procedure can be replicated across EU.
> Norway has already done it.
> UK could go there on a fact finding mission and copy the
> model exactly.

Norways is used as an example by the OSC. The same goes for the EU's think
tanks paper on 'naked PCs'. Give it time. BECTA crooks will run away.

Linux is like a girlfriend; try to stick to one distribution for a lifetime
 18:20:04 up 4 days,  3:05,  3 users,  load average: 2.16, 1.71, 1.55