Re: Some states still don't trust Microsoft

____/ Linonut on Saturday 20 October 2007 16:49 : \____

>    October 19, 2007 8:42 AM PDT
>    More states join call for extra Microsoft policing
>    Posted by Anne Broache
>
>    Updated at 4:00 p.m. PDT: In something of a surprise move, four state
>    attorneys general who previously praised the effectiveness of
>    Microsoft's antitrust settlement with the feds said they're not ready
>    to see five years of oversight wind down just yet.
>
>    In a nine-page court filing with U.S. District Judge Colleen
>    Kollar-Kotelly on Thursday, officials in New York, Maryland,
>    Louisiana and Florida said they were joining a group of six states,
>    led by California and the District of Columbia, in calling for
>    dragging out oversight on Redmond until 2012.
>
> Also mentions some Microsoft Ass-Dragging:
>
>    At issue is a 2002 consent decree with the Bush administration, most
>    of which is scheduled to expire next month. One small portion,
>    related to a communications protocol licensing program that has
>    encountered numerous delays since its inception, has already been
>    extended through November 2009.
>
> This is funny:
>
>    The latest filing discusses what the attorneys general call the
>    "indisputably resilient" monopoly that Microsoft holds in the
>    operating system realm. They say they are "mindful" that Windows'
>    approximately 90 percent market share in client operating systems is
>    not the only test for how successful the antitrust agreement has
>    been. But, they add, "the absence of meaningful erosion in Windows'
>    market share is still problematic for the public interest."
>
>    Because of those concerns and Microsoft's "well-known difficulties"
>    in complying with other portions of the consent decree, specifically
>    a server protocol licensing section, it's appropriate for the
>    oversight period to cover a full decade, as is typical of antitrust
>    consent decrees, the New York group argues.
>
> I wonder if there's a patent on Microsoft ass-dragging?
>
> Or maybe it has already been patent by the Bush-driven Justice
> Department.
>
> I find it very strange that the vast majority just don't seem to care
> about a desktop-computing monopoly, even in the face of extraordinarily
> shoddy products.

The Bush Admin can turn a blind eye, but the Dutch are fed up.

Leaked price information about Windows Vista: 'only' 723 dollar...

,----[ Quote ]
| Today Microsoft leaked information about the upcoming Vista release
| in Europe. Windows Vista Ultimate Edition will be sold for 'only' $ 723
`----

http://digg.com/tech_news/Leaked_price_information_about_Windows_Vista_only_723_dollar

Months later:

Dutch Consumer Association declares war on Vista

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/10/13/dutch_consumer_association_declares_war/

For completeness (Bush link):

Microsoft Paid Lobbyist $160,000

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Paid Paid Bingham McCutchen $160,000 to Lobby Federal Gov't in
| First Half of 2007
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070905/microsoft_lobbying.html?.v=1

Why Microsoft deserved to lose the OOXML standards vote

,----[ Quote ]
| 1. Lobbying is legal. But certain lobbying tactics are not. Microsoft
| officials admitted that one of the company’s employees behaved
| inappropriately in Sweden,
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=694

Microsoft Finds Legal Defender in Justice Dept.

,----[ Quote ]
| Nearly a decade after the government began its landmark effort to break
| up Microsoft, the Bush administration has sharply changed course by
| repeatedly defending the company both in the United States and abroad
| against accusations of anticompetitive conduct, including the recent
| rejection of a complaint by Google.
|
| [...]
|
| In the most striking recent example of the policy shift, the top
| antitrust official at the Justice Department last month urged state
| prosecutors to reject a confidential antitrust complaint filed by
| Google that is tied to a consent decree that monitors Microsoft's
| behavior. Google has accused Microsoft of designing its latest
| operating system, Vista, to discourage the use of Google's desktop
| search program, lawyers involved in the case said.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/10/business/10microsoft.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

Software rivals say Microsoft's Vista illegal in Europe

,----[ Excerpt ]
| Software manufacturers, citing 2004 European Commission finding,
| contend the operating system violates server laws in Europe.
`----

http://money.cnn.com/2007/01/26/news/international/bc.vista.microsoft.eu.reut/index.htm?source=yahoo_quote

US politicians go to bat for Microsoft

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09/26/microsoft_eu_political_lobbying/

Report Says Nonprofits Sold Influence to Abramoff

,----[ Quote ]
| E-mails released by the committee show that Abramoff, often
| with the knowledge of the groups' leaders, exploited the tax-exempt
| status and leveraged the stature of the organizations to build
| support among conservatives for legislation or government action
| sought by clients including Microsoft Corp., mutual fund company
| DH2 Inc., Primedia Inc.'s Channel One Network, and Brown-Forman,
| maker of Jack Daniel's whiskey.
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/12/AR2006101200889.html
http://tinyurl.com/y2rbpu

Politicians in Microsoft's Pocket

,----[ Quote ]
| Continuing on the theme of which politicians are receiving money from
| who. Here is a list of candidates who took money from MSFT.
`----

http://www.fonz.net/blog/archives/2007/06/04/politicians-in-microsofts-pocket/

Politics and tech companies: follow the money

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft took first place with $651,100 given out, while
| Hewlett-Packard gave only $185,550, and Gateway gave a paltry
| $2,000. Microsoft's donations certainly illustrate well the true
| size of the company and the extent of its political concerns.

Latest INCITS Voting Results on OOXML; JTC1 Vote Begins to be Stacked

,----[ Quote ]
| The government decided to vote together, and to follow NIST (Homeland
| Security had voted in favor of approval in the previous ballot), so DoD fell
| in line as well.  NIST, you may recall, is an agency of the Department of
| Commerce (as I reported Steve Ballmer personally called the Secretary of the
| DOC to urge this result).  GS1is a technical association.
`----

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=2007082413463944

Microsoft Looks for the Big Guns in OOXML In-Fighting

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://xml.sys-con.com/read/419573_p.htm

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.billparish.com/msftfraudfacts.html

,----[ Quote ]
| "As with all pyramid schemes, it is important to get as close to tier
| 1 as possible. From a practical standpoint, usually only tiers 1 and 2
| will derive significant long-term economic rewards from such schemes."
|
| "Microsoft has clearly entered a phase of self destructive behavior
| that began with the "tissue paper campaign" in 1995. This report will
| document this campaign for the first time."
`----

http://reactor-core.org/microsoft-pyramid.html

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Roughly 2% of your keyboard is O/S-specific
Swap:  1510068k total,   518164k used,   991904k free,    58792k cached