Re: [OT] What's an album worth? The results are in.

____/ Jerry McBride on Saturday 20 October 2007 16:58 : \____

> [H]omer wrote:
>
>> How much is Radiohead worth?
>>
>> .----
>> |    What did people pay for In Rainbows, f'rexample
>> |
>> |    THE INQ has already reported on Radiohead's attempt to bring
>> | music marketing into the 21st Century by letting the punters pick
>> | their own price for their latest offering "In Rainbows". This is,
>> | depending on whom you talk to, either a move of sublime genius
>> | which will revolutionise the way music is bought and sold, or a
>> | cynical attempt to generate publicity and sales for a band whose
>> | marketability has declined markedly in the years since "OK
>> | Computer". Now, thanks to Record of the Day, a little known
>> | Internet based music publication, we have some idea of whether or
>> | not the model is actually working....
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/10/19/radiohead-worth
>>
>> And the winner is ...
>>
>> ###################
>> ###### £3.88 ######
>> ###################
>>
>> Which is nearly a *third* of the going rate for an album.
>>
>> Can we expect a suitable price reduction in the shops now?
>>
>> Then again, a reduction at the POS would probably not affect the fat
>> record execs profits, who will simply skim the deficit from the artists,
>> thus leaving those artists with even less than the pittance they already
>> get.
>>
>> Better by far to just depreciate the record companies altogether, skip
>> the middle-man, and let the artists get /all/ the profits, just as they
>> should.
>>

> Since Radiohead cut out the middle man... I wonder how that number compares
> to their usual cut from selling a record via the record company? Also...
> what's 3.88 pounds in US dollars???
>
> I'm guessing that Radiohead made some serious profit from this expirement. I
> think I'll go buy a copy...

That price is worth the convenience of fetching the music free of hassle. Also
remember that the middleman gets paid nada, so it's almost pure profit (bar
bandwidth and Webmaster costs... maybe tax).

That's about 8 bucks by the way.

It'll be intresting to see how pricing ends up if you have many bands embracing
Radiohead's new model... think about having to compete with Red Hat on the
server... which is why I think that lessons, concerts and merchandise will pay
off a great deal.

Surely, Microsoft has given up on altruism in the IT industry
 18:00:01 up 4 days,  2:45,  3 users,  load average: 1.36, 1.36, 1.62