Re: [News] Eric Raymond secretly dumps Linspire

____/ [H]omer on Saturday 20 October 2007 10:52 : \____

> Eric Raymond Has Left Linspire’s Board
>
> .----
> | Shane once asked himself what Eric Raymond would do after
> | Linspire’s deal with Microsoft. It turns out that shortly after
> | Kevin Carmony had left Linspire, Eric left as well. The press did
> | not report any of this, despite the fact that the press did make a
> | lot of noise when Eric dumped Fedora for Ubuntu Linux.
> `----
>
> http://boycottnovell.com/2007/10/19/eric-raymond-linspire/
>
> Actually it was /Raymond/ that made all the fuss, the Press just
> reported the story that Raymond went to so much effort to spread around
> the Internet in such a spiteful fashion,

I /did/ point that out. He sent Brian, Stephen and a few other editors copies
of the E-mail.

> after his highly melodramatic
> departure from Fedora. Of course we soon discovered the real agenda,
> which was the promotion of Linspire ... his new paymaster.
>
> It's quite intriguing to discover that he subsequently left Linspire
> too. It's even /more/ intriguing to discover that he did so covertly.

>From the source that had me aware that ESR had left, it is also confirmed that
Linspire is a *ahem* going nowhere fast. Recall what PJ said...

,----[ Quote ]
| Mr. Carmony asked a question, will Linux split in two factions? The answer
| is no. Some Linux distros will limp along a while and then die off,
| because they misunderstood what folks want when they choose GNU/Linux
| and FOSS. You can see that already. Red Hat, which refused to sign any
| such deal, is flourishing, for example. It's not about code that "just
| works". Apple offers that already. It's the freedom. And we've proven
| willing to put up with some temporary frustration in order to get it.
| In time, FOSS will win, and all those proprietary codecs and everything
| else will be made available on pleasanter terms, because market share
| does that.

They call it evolution. The weak ones die and the strong one survive and
thrive. Now, help spread the seed (Ubuntu 7.10, that is!). They could use the
torrents, esp. now that Ubuntu Studio is down due to heavy loads.

> Perhaps the Linspire board, ever mindful of Raymond's drama-queen
> tendencies, had the foresight to pay for his silence in advance of his
> departure. Of course the question remains, what changed at Linspire
> during Raymond's tenure, that made him want to leave? He didn't join
> until /after/ the Protection Racket deal, so it wasn't that. Hmm.

Not true. It was /before/ deal. :-)

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "My signature is never intended to be offensive"
Swap:  1510068k total,   690784k used,   819284k free,    64660k cached