Re: [News] MSBBC Going Digital, with Microsoft and Windows in Sight

____/ William Poaster on Thursday 18 October 2007 11:53 : \____

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/technology/article2412752.ece

>> BBC Corrupted
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Today the BBC made it official -- they have been corrupted by Microsoft.
>> | With today's launch of the iPlayer, the BBC Trust has failed in its most
>> | basic of duties and handed over to Microsoft sole control of the on-line
>> | distribution of BBC programming. From today, you will need to own a
>> | Microsoft operating system to view BBC programming on the web. This is
>> | akin to saying you must own a Sony TV set to watch BBC TV. And you must
>> | accept the Digital Restrictions Management (DRM) that the iPlayer
>> | imposes. You simply cannot be allowed to be in control of your computer
>> | according to the BBC.
>> `----
>>
>> http://defectivebydesign.org/blog/BBCcorrupted
>>

>> BBC iPlayer Protests
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Who are the people responsible for creating this mess?
>> |
>> |     * Mark Thompson, BBC director general (DG)
>> |     * Erik Huggers, group controller at BBC Future Media & Technology
>> |     * Ashley Highfield, director of new media and technology
>> |
>> | Right now, there is very considerable concern within the BBC that the
>> | actions of the Director General and his team are sending the corporation
>> | in the wrong direction. The BBC has been embroiled in a number of recent
>> | controversies, all linked back to the DG's leadership.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.defectivebydesign.org/iPlayerProtest
>
> The BBC has a £2 *billion* shortfall in it's budget, & thus is making
> cutbacks which include selling off the BBC Television Centre.
> http://itn.co.uk/news/fbfadf1f215d2d4b1125c59163cfd804.html
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7050122.stm
>
> How much did they pay to M$ for iPlayer?
> I could be wrong, but I can't help but wonder if they are yet *another* of
> M$'s "partners" which are being bled dry....
>
> There was £90million lost here:
> http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/story/0,,2122369,00.html
>
> And how much was wasted here?
> http://www.ukfree.tv/fullstory.php?storyid=1107051166
>
> IMO the idiots in charge of the BBC want firing, not the workers on the shop
> floor.

It's not just the MSBBC, but also the MSNHS.

Microsoft in the NHS

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is one of the key technology firms in the £6.2 billion NHS
| IT programme. It is working particularly closely with iSOFT ...
`----

http://www.e-health-insider.com/comment_and_analysis/index.cfm?ID=69

Prescription for an I.T. Disaster?

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2002, the British government embarked on a $12 billion effort to
| transform its health-care system with information technology. But
| the country's oversight agency now puts that figure at $24 billion,
| and two Members of Parliament say the project is "sleepwalking
| toward disaster."
`----

http://www.baselinemag.com/article2/0,1540,2058194,00.asp

The BBC has burned $130 million on the iPlayer binary blob alone, IIRC, and the
cost keeps rising (they have just called Adobe in, haven't they?).

What about the British Library, National Archives, and other institutes that
are corrupted by Microsoft?

Dr. John Pugh said it best last week:

Lawmaker blasts U.K. government on Microsoft policy

http://www.news.com/Lawmaker-blasts-U.K.-government-on-Microsoft-policy/2100-1012_3-6212721.html
http://tinyurl.com/2ashm2

He gets the /real/ facts from the OSC. Here's another recent writeup:

The trainwreck-waiting-to-happen that is UK government IT spending

,----[ Quote ]
| Think about that. Think about what this means: eight vendors have a
| tremendous amount of leverage over the taxpayers of the United Kingdom.
|
| [...]
|
| The UK, in other words, is a captive of its IT vendors. That is shockingly
| wrong.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9777862-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Also see:

Lessig: Required Reading: the next 10 years

,----[ Quote ]
| Yet governments continue to push ahead with this idiot idea -- both Britain
| and Japan for example are considering extending existing terms. Why?
|
| The answer is a kind of corruption of the political process. Or better,
| a "corruption" of the political process. I don't mean corruption in the
| simple sense of bribery. I mean "corruption" in the sense that the
| system is so queered by the influence of money that it can't even get
| an issue as simple and clear as term extension right.
`----

http://www.lessig.org/blog/archives/003800.shtml#003800

Governments slammed for anti-competitive software tendering practices

,----[ Quote ]
| A leading Australian open source advocate has called for an end for to
| tender lock-outs of competitors to Microsoft, claiming the practice
| is costing Australian taxpayers tens of millions of dollars each
| year.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Open syntax, Open API's, Open standards
Mem:    515500k total,   446480k used,    69020k free,      924k buffers