[News] The Illusion of Linux Playing Catch-up, Because of the Desktop

  • Subject: [News] The Illusion of Linux Playing Catch-up, Because of the Desktop
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 12:26:18 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Desktop dreaming

,----[ Quote ]
| There are Linux users that have little use for productivity suites, and
| depend instead on a simple text editor, which has all the functions any one
| man or woman could need, and makes files that everyone can read.
|
| [...]
|
| Critics like to pretend that free software lacks innovation. This assumption
| is given credibility on the desktop because we can't imagine a different
| universe until we have stopped playing catch up with Windows, and have caught
| a significant share of the Windows market on the desktop.
`----

http://tuxdeluxe.org/node/265

How about Microsoft (admittedly) catching up with Linux servers functionality
and supercomputers?

Related:

Top 500 Supers: Moore's Law Is Alive and Well

,----[ Quote ]
| There are two Windows-based clusters, and 42 machines that run a mix
| of operating systems--and one of those operating systems in the mix is
| always a Linux and the other is a variant of Unix. If you want to be
| fair, Linux is represented on 86 percent of the machines...
`----

http://www.itjungle.com/tlb/tlb071007-story02.html

Innovation: The REAL Killer App

,----[ Quote ]