Re: Microsoft Under Fire Over E-mail Mess, Windows Zombie Spewage, Broken Filtering

nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> My wife, who refuses to get off her hotmail account, has emails from
> me and friends dropped, seemingly randomly.  I can never reliably
> communicate with her.

She's from Venus.  What do you expect?

> Also, they make you pay if you want to export
> the address book.

How do they do that again?  Where's that option on the Hotmail screen?

> There may be ways around this---I am trying to
> research it---but certainly you can't cut and paste out of the address
> book.

Not only can you cut and paste (at least using Windows Live Hotmail), on the
main email mgmt screen there's an Options button.  Click it, then choose
Export Contacts and another screen comes up that says:

"You can export your contacts to a CSV file format. This allows you to save
them to your computer or transfer them to other e-mail services."

Click the button and it generates a .csv file of all your contacts and all
the data fields:

Title,First Name,Middle Name,Last Name,Suffix,Company,Department,Job
Title,Business Street,Business City,Business State,Business Postal
Code,Business Country,Home Street,Home City,Home State,Home Postal Code,Home
Country,Business Fax,Business Phone,Business Phone 2,Callback,Car
Phone,Company Main Phone,Home Fax,Home Phone,Home Phone 2,ISDN,Mobile
Phone,Other Fax,Other Phone,Pager,Primary Phone,Radio Phone,TTY/TDD
Phone,Telex,Account,Anniversary,Assistant's Name,Billing
Information,Birthday,Business Address PO Box,Categories,Children,Company
Yomi,Directory Server,E-mail Address,E-mail Type,E-mail Display Name,E-mail
2 Address,E-mail 2 Type,E-mail 2 Display Name,E-mail 3 Address,E-mail 3
Type,E-mail 3 Display Name,Gender,Given Yomi,Government ID Number,Hobby,Home
Address PO Box,Initials,Internet Free
Busy,Keywords,Language,Location,Manager's Name,Mileage,Notes,Office
Location,Organizational ID Number,Other Address PO
Box,Priority,Private,Profession,Referred By,Sensitivity,Spouse,Surname
Yomi,User 1,User 2,Web Page

> It was obviously a deliberate decision not to allow this.

Obviously you're wrong, like all "advocates" are when they blame MS every
time they stub their toe.