Re: [News] Free Software Patched 20 Times Faster Than Proprietary Software

____/ 7 on Wednesday 17 October 2007 22:42 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Is free software the way to go?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | A recent study conducted by Forrester Research indicates that while an
>> | enterprise developer takes an average of 6.9 days to fix a defect, the
>> | time taken by an open source developer is less than 8 hours.
>> `----
>>
>> http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/LiveITUP
> Is_free_software_the_way_to_go/articleshow/2462106.cms
>

> This is exactly what I find in my work environments often.
> Windopws is just pure rubbish when it comes to sorting out
> problems. It has so many problems that most things these days
> are left UNFIXED. Even more ridicule is that problems
> such as networking where almost every problem
> is UNIFIXABLE because not even micoshaft
> has the documentation needed to fix it - witness their recent
> fine of a few millions dollars PER DAY for not handing
> in the required documentation to the EU.
>

>> Related:
>>
>> Beware of undisclosed Microsoft patches
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Forget for a moment whether Microsoft is throwing off patch counts
>> | that Microsoft brass use to compare its security record with those
>> | of its competitors. What do you think of Redmond?s silent patching
>> | practice?
>> `----
>>
>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=527

I couldn't find my reference to a story where a Debian bug is fixed within
just /minutes/ and made available (apt-get). Imagine shrink-wrapped
software...

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Error, no keyboard - press F1 to continue"
Tasks: 102 total,   1 running, 101 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie