Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft 'Innovated' and Renamed Java .SNOT

____/ Jim Relsh on Wednesday 31 October 2007 19:35 : \____

>> How ASP.NET began in Java
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | So why did Microsoft deny it? I'm guessing, but maybe the company felt
>> | that "Project Cool" was related to Java in people's minds, and wanted to
>> | emphasise that .NET was 100 per cent Java-free. Any resemblance is
>> purely
>> | coincidental, as novelists like to say.
>> `----
>
> Microsoft paid Sun a sizeable amount of money in 2001 IIRC to allow it to
> develop a Java-like system, since Sun has numerous patents on Java. In
> hindsight Sun shouldn't have allowed this and open-sourced Java much sooner.

The documents from the Iowa antitrust case reveal fear and envy when it comes
to Java... even Gates himself expressed anxiety.

Microsoft has had similar deals with Sun that revolve around StarOffice.

Surely, Microsoft has given up on altruism in the IT industry
 23:05:02 up 1 day,  3:16,  3 users,  load average: 2.06, 2.26, 1.97