[News] Companies Turn Web to Binary Mode, Create Disriminatory Desktop Tie-up

  • Subject: [News] Companies Turn Web to Binary Mode, Create Disriminatory Desktop Tie-up
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 13:14:24 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
The (not so) hidden goals of Prism, AIR and Silverlight

,----[ Quote ]
| I have found in this comment to the Microsoft post something very similar to
| my thinking:
|
| MS says "Write a web application using Silverlight and you can get desktop
| integration". Adobe says "Write a web application using AIR and you can get
| desktop integration". Mozilla says "write a website *without* doing anything
| special, and *we* will take care of desktop integration".
`----

http://standblog.org/blog/post/2007/10/29/The-not-so-hidden-goals-of-Prism-AIR-and-Silverlight

Mozilla seems to be the least harmful. It's a binary Web under the disguise
of "openness" (for business).

Recent:

Mozilla's Prism to bring Web apps to desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla now has prototypes of Prism running on Windows with early versions on
| Mac and Linux under way.
|
| Future versions include offline access to information with Firefox 3 and
| three-dimensional graphics.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9805103-7.html

Mozilla can live without Google's money, Baker says

,----[ Quote ]
| Thunderbird spin-off should find its own revenue, the Mozilla CEO adds
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9044160

Firefox 3 and Google team up for offline apps

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/118296/firefox-3-and-google-team-up-for-offline-apps.html