[News] Patent Fight Comes to Canada, WIPO Scum Visits to Fight Free Software?

  • Subject: [News] Patent Fight Comes to Canada, WIPO Scum Visits to Fight Free Software?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 12:50:45 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Copyright activists want Canada to avoid WIPO treaty

,----[ Quote ]
| The Canadian government’s affirmation for copyright reform in this month’s
| throne speech could have implications on technological innovation as well as
| the open source community, according to industry activists.
`----

http://www.itworldcanada.com/a/Daily-News/bb377ddc-4972-4447-aa9f-3e75a8641bc1.html

WIPO wants to destroy Asia and Europe in the same way.

More on patent abuses:

US tech industry backs Buffalo in Wi-Fi patent spat

,----[ Quote ]
| America's computing industry are lining up behind Buffalo Technology to
| support its appeal against a US import ban of its 802.11a and 802.11g kit.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/30/wlan_patent/

Is Fighting Your Patent Case in Public Really a Good Idea?

,----[ Quote ]
| The millions of blogs littering the Internet prove that everyone has an
| opinion. But you won't often find the general counsel of a major tech company
| shooting his mouth off about ongoing patent litigation.
`----

http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1193735032638

Recent:

Half A Loaf

,----[ Quote ]
| Yes, open source will have access to the interoperability information
| on "reasonable" terms (ask independent open source developers how many can
| afford to cough up the $15,000 such access will cost), but nothing in this
| statement indicates the Commission has overcome Microsoft's "refusa[al] to
| make the [patent] licence compatible with the open source business model." In
| fact, we can expect that nothing about that patent license will be compatible
| with the most widely used open source license, the GNU General Public
| License.
`----

http://walkingwithelephants.blogspot.com/2007/10/half-loaf.html

EU tells open source to start paying MS patent tax

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://press.ffii.org/Press_releases/EU_tells_open_source_to_start_paying_MS_patent_tax