Re: [News] Linux Gets Drivers and Applications Right (Others Do Not)

____/ [H]omer on Wednesday 31 October 2007 02:03 : \____

>> Rethinking the driver
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | If these guys can do it, why can't Apple or Microsoft take it to
>> | the next level? Heck why stop at drivers, why not have a list of
>> | Applications that I can download right from the OS?
>
> Because:
>
> a) ... Microsoft doesn't want you using anything but MS products, and
> b) ... You'd need a credit card.
>
> Which is obviously a better approach than choosing from fifty thousand
> packages and typing "yum install <package>". Allegedly.

Yes, I love apt-get myself. At present, it even make proposal.

Example based on a true scenario I was in (from memory:

cd ~
./my_old_script.sh
        The program 'mhonarc' is currently not installed.  You can install it by
        typing:
        sudo apt-get install mhonarc
        Make sure you have the 'universe' component enabled
        bash: mhonarc: command not found
sudo apt-get install mhonarc

[snip]

./my_old_script.sh

[done]

How many keystrokes, downloads, mouse movements, and roboots would that require
in Windows?

The folks on the Ubuntu CD cover need to apt-get shirt, not sudo fsck.
         run-level 2  2007-10-30 19:49                   last=