Re: An Open Letter To Roy Schestowitz..................................

On Oct 30, 6:26 pm, flatfish+++ <flatf...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello Roy,
>         I think maybe it's time that you and I vent our various
> differences in public and attempt to resolve them.

Fair enough.  You don't mind if some the rest of us join in the
discussion?

> What follows is *my* side of the saga.

> 1. You and your gang (ie:Mark etc) often assume, wrongly, that I,
> flatfish am responsible for the various attacks that seem to be directed
> toward yourself.

It really gets hard to track all of the nymshifters properly.  There
was a period when you made a number of good "trouble reports" in this
group, sharing your experiences of attempting to install Linux on
hardware you knew was unsupported (I found the references on Google in
less than 10 minutes most of the time.

Other posters started trying to tell similar tales of woe, but the big
difference was that these other posters didn't give the specifics the
way you did, or only gave very limited specifics.  Still, these became
known as "flatfish" postings because they were so similar in style.

> 2. You claim I am Gary Stewart/Stewert.

I have received e-mails from you that indicate that you are NOT Gary
Stuart.  I'm not sure what your real name is.  Unfortunately, so many
of the "WinTrolls" on this group try very hard to remain anonymous to
the point of absurdity.  I never know if this is because they are on
Microsoft's payroll, or because they are just guys on the Football
team who are playing "Bash the Nerds" by bashing pro-Linux posters on
Cola.

Most of the Linux advocates in COLA tend to provide links to web
sites, resumes, and even tell the uptime on their Linux machines.
Many of them even post from dedicated IP addresses.

> Do you have any proof of this?

The classic WinTroll comeback.  Not "I am not Gary", or "here is my
proof that I'm not Gary, such as a link to a web site, but just a
demand that the poster "prove" a statement that probably can't be
proven.

You know you are not Gary, but you also know that you could prove you
are not Gary in a single posting by simply providing a link to a web-
site or web page showing your resume, maybe a picture, and maybe even
some of the more interesting highlights of your life.

At least this way we would know more about you and could relate to you
as a person, rather than as just one of the many nyms and nymshifters
who seem to demand all of the personal details of our lives, publicly
humiliate us for what we do share, and then demand that we PROVE that
we are who we say we are.

> 3. You assume that all attacks on yourself, your sexuality, etc are
> eminating from flatfish.

You HAVE attacked me for my sexuality, but also sent me a letter of
apology.  It's understandable that others may have assumed that you
just nymshifted to take your shot.

One of the problems with e-mail in general, and usenet in particular,
is that it is very hard to trace people's identities.  Many usenet
hosting sites do try to validate their posters in some way, even if
it's only by processing nominal credit card payments or asking the
user to fill out a form that includes an e-mail which is used to send
the registration code or password.

> 4. Again, proof. Where is the proof that all these people you accuse of
> being flatfish are really me?

You know how usenet works, which means you know that it can't be
proven.  Again, you could prove that you are NOT the nymshifters by
providing links that show your true identity, but you choose not to do
that.  Nothing requires you to do this.

> 5. You claim nobody interfered with your mission yet you suddenly stopped
> posting from your universities servers and started leeching off Mark

> IOW why would you switch if things had not gotten too hot for you?

I used to make the mistake of posting to usenet from a work related e-
mail account and found myself totally flooded with spam.  There were
times when it got ridiculous.  I got every spam scam e-mail you could
imagine.  These days I pretty much clean out the e-mail account I use
for usenet postings with a vacuum cleaner.

In the past I've had to use different usenet accounts because of Job
changes, ISP changes, ISP mergers, e-mail service changes, and e-mail
service takeovers.

> 6. In conclusion Roy, your posting speaks for itself.
> Nobody has to offer up anything extra.

Yes, but we love to help Roy out.

> Personally I would hire a toad to clean
>  my toilets before I would hire you.

That's your perogative.  I can think of a few publishers and political
compaigns who would love to make use of his uncanny ability to dig out
lots of great articles on interesting topics related to the main topic
of this newsgroup.

> You spend 24x7 posting to the Internet.
> That is sicko.

I'm not sure that's true.  Roy does manage to find lots of good
articles on Linux, and then organizes them by theme.  He seems to have
several "burst times" usually in the morning, again around noon, then
around the dinner hour, and then a couple of new postings in the
evening.

There are some, such as DFS, who seem to be getting a salary to post
to this newsgroup.
I don't know whether DFS gets paid to post or not.  He may just have a
flex schedule, similar to mine.  I have to meet certain objectives for
the day and the week, but often, it's easier to work later at night,
or early in the morning, because I'm working with off-shore teams or
getting output from one team at 5 PM and need to give it to the other
team at 8 AM.  I was in college when I figured out that there were 24
hours in a day and 7 days in a week, and that I only slept for 6 hours
a day 7 days a week.  Most people work 8 hours a day 5 days a week,
they spend time around the water cooler, and make small-talk between
meetings or between calls.

I'd rather debate whether Windows or Linux will create more economic
opportunity for the poor, than hang around the cooler and talk about
who's going to win the World Series, EVEN when the Denver team is
playing.

> --
> flatfish+++
>
> "Why do they call it a flatfish?"
A flatfish is a fish that lies on the bottom of the ocean floor, and
almost disappears into the sand and the silt.  This enables it to hide
from predators and attack prey by surprise.

I see the similarities.

> "Is this the year of Linux?"

We've already had several "year of Linux" events.
I think the day when we see Linux, and Linux only,  on 75% of all
desktops and latpops, is still a few years away.

We are already seeing Linux deployed on over 50 million PCs per year,
but not to the exclusion of Windows.

We have seen 100 million Linux devices deployed annually, but these
were embedded devices such as routers and WiFi hubs.

We have seen Linux deployed on about 70% of the projects where the
customer has the option of Linux or Windows, but these are often back-
end and utility systems rather than high-profile front-ends such as
web servers.

We have seen Linux performance go up radically since 1997 when it was
rated Product of the Year, we've seen Linux introduce hundreds of new
features to the desktop and server market, often YEARS before they
were introduced by Microsoft.

We've seen Microsoft hauled into court numerous times and even when
they lost their cases, the were still allowed to negotiate settlements
that allowed them to exclude Linux from the marketplace.

We've seen HP, Dell, Acer, and Lenovo introduce 64 bit processors on
laptops and desktops even though the windows operating systems sold
with them only allowed them to function in 32 bit mode.

We've seen HP, Dell, Acer, Toshiba, and Lenovo all announce "Linux
Ready" computers.

We've seen "Linux Ready" models grow from a niche market to the most
widely sold models.  The machines are sold with Windows, but they are
trivial to convert to Linux.

> "Linux is free only when your time has no value"

That's true when you are only considering the time spent to configure
Linux on a "Linux Hostile" laptop or desktop machine.  Now that Linux-
Ready machines are so much more common, and so much easier to
identify, even that argument is dissapearing.

When considering the use of a computer over a 3-5 year period, Linux
begins to show many advantages over Vista or XP.  You know that the
next version of Windows will be disruptive or "Revolutionary".  You
will spend more time doing manual cut-and-paste operations due to lack
of ability to script.  You will spend more time dealing with viruses,
dealing with back-ups, installing and updating Windows and Windows
software, including more reboots and more shifts.