Re: [News] Linux CLI Enhanced Even Further

http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2007/10/29/ars-at-fosscamp-revolutionizing-the-command-line-with-hotwire

>>> "Heavily inspired by Microsoft Powershell..."
>>>
>>> ho hum.  So what else is new?
>>>
>>> Rhetorical question: what technology in the Linux/OSS world isn't
>>> "inspired by", "borrowed from", "based on", "implementation of" a
>>> Microsoft app or other commercial app or technology?
>>
>> I'll answer a rhetorical question with another.
>>
>> Who "borrowed" TCP/IP from whom?
>

> What! Besides the PowerShell features, did those linux bastards steal the
> TCP/IP stack from someone too? Because it sure wasn't Microsoft that
> "borrowed" someone TCP/IP stack.
>

> http://www.kuro5hin.org/?op=displaystory;sid=2001/6/19/05641/7357
>
> [quote]
> I worked at Microsoft for ten years, most of it on the core Windows
> NT/2000 (hereafter referred to as NT) networking code. As such I briefly
> dealt with the Hotmail team, mostly to hear them complain about the
> lameness of the telnet daemon in NT (a valid point). I do know that when
> Microsoft bought Hotmail, the email system was entirely running on
> FreeBSD, and Microsoft immediately set about trying to migrate it to NT,
> and it took many years to do so. Now it seems that the transition is not
> complete. Well, what are you gonna do.
> On the other hand, I know a lot about the TCP/IP stack that is running on
> NT. Here is a short history of it (some of this may also be told in the
> book How the Web Was Won, but I haven't read it):
> [-quote]

Reading further ...

<quote>

Along with Spider's stack came versions of various TCP/IP-related utility
programs, such as ftp, rcp and rsh. Those were ported from BSD sockets to
winsock (not a huge change) and bundled with NT.

Now, some of Spider's code (possibly all of it) was based on the TCP/IP
stack in the BSD flavors of Unix. These are open source, but distributed
under the BSD license, not the GPL that Linux is released under. Whereas
the GPL states that any software derived from GPL'ed software must also be
released under the GPL, the BSD license basically says, "here's the source,
you can do whatever you want, just give credit to the original author."

</quote>

Apparently, *according to someone who worked at Microsoft for ten years*,
this came from the OSS world (BSD).  Of course it's not stolen, neither by
Microsoft nor by linux, since it is free to use under the BSD license, but
I think "borrowed from" the OSS world is a pretty apt description here.
And it clearly is not "inspired by", "borrowed from", "based
on", "implementation of a" Microsoft or any commercial app.

Since we're on the subject of original (not "inspired by", etc., Microsoft &
commercial) linux/OSS technology, you should check out the early history of
the world wide web (yet another trivial technology).  Specifically, the
first browser and web server.  Something to do with particle physics
research, I think.  Strictly (non) commercial.

Have a nice day.

--
This message brought to you by your Department of Redundancy Department