Re: [News] Linux CLI Enhanced Even Further

"skydweller" <homeguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> DFS wrote:
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Ars at FOSSCamp: revolutionizing the command line with Hotwire
>>

> http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2007/10/29/ars-at-fosscamp-revolutionizing-the-command-line-with-hotwire
>>>
>>> Even Microsoft has decided that it needed to catch up. Everyone uses
>>> the|a command line.
>>

>> "Heavily inspired by Microsoft Powershell..."
>>
>> ho hum.  So what else is new?
>>
>> Rhetorical question: what technology in the Linux/OSS world isn't
>> "inspired by", "borrowed from", "based on", "implementation of" a
>> Microsoft app or other commercial app or technology?
>
> I'll answer a rhetorical question with another.
>
> Who "borrowed" TCP/IP from whom?

What! Besides the PowerShell features, did those linux bastards steal the
TCP/IP stack from someone too? Because it sure wasn't Microsoft that
"borrowed" someone TCP/IP stack.

http://www.kuro5hin.org/?op=displaystory;sid=2001/6/19/05641/7357

[quote]
I worked at Microsoft for ten years, most of it on the core Windows NT/2000
(hereafter referred to as NT) networking code. As such I briefly dealt with
the Hotmail team, mostly to hear them complain about the lameness of the
telnet daemon in NT (a valid point). I do know that when Microsoft bought
Hotmail, the email system was entirely running on FreeBSD, and Microsoft
immediately set about trying to migrate it to NT, and it took many years to
do so. Now it seems that the transition is not complete. Well, what are you
gonna do.
On the other hand, I know a lot about the TCP/IP stack that is running on
NT. Here is a short history of it (some of this may also be told in the book
How the Web Was Won, but I haven't read it):
[-quote]