Re: [Rival] Microsoft's Latest Scheme to Getting Africans 'Addicted' to Windows?

On Oct 30, 7:57 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Africa: UN Partners With Microsoft to Bring Technology Benefits to Millions
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The United Nations telecommunications agency and technology giant Microsoft
> | have announced a new partnership to help bring the benefits of information
> | and communication technology (ICT) to millions in Africa, a key aim of a
> | global summit that kicked off today in Rwanda.
> `----
>
> http://allafrica.com/stories/200710291890.html

It's a bit ironic.  Red Hat has been working with a United Nations NGO
since 1997 that gets over 10 million PCs PER YEAR, mostly those being
recycled by corporations, into the hands of people in Eastern Europe,
Africa, South America, India, and Asia.  Dell could contribute over
100 million PCs per year to similar charities, but most are too old to
run the latest Microsoft software and doesn't run Linux well, so many
of those machines are dismantled and recycled.

One of the problems with these older machines is that the desktops
require large amounts of AC power, and the laptops often have
batteries that cost as much as the laptop.

The OLPC project started by Nicholas Negroponte was designed to
provide a laptop that could be used in the most remote parts of the
world, where the people must often travel very light.  Those PCs can
be charged by turning a crank for a few minutes and then charging it
every 30 minutes or so.

Now, as OLPC is beginning to reach millions of young children,
Microsoft wants in on the action, and is willing to use the Gates
foundation money to bribe - I mean - persuade - I mean encourage - you
know what I mean - officials involved with the OLPC project to demand
Windows instead of Linux on these new lightweight computers.

Let's ignore the fact that most of those who contributed their time,
money, intellectual property, logistical, and political support for
OLPC were committed to a product based entirely on FOSS.  Let's ignore
the fact that Microsoft fought OLPC tooth and nail, telling government
leaders that they should give people cell phones powered by Windows
instead (at almost twice the price).  Lets ignore the fact that
Microsoft didn't contribute a dime to a project that has been going on
for almost 10 years.  Let's ignore the fact that Microsoft didn't even
bother to create a version of Windows that was capable of running on
OLPC when the specifications were first made public.  Let's ignore the
fact that Microsoft is a monopoly that has been charged with numerous
criminal activities in Euroupe, North America, and Asia.  But let's
not ignore the fact that Microsoft is attempting to put restrictions
on who can receive these new OLPC devices.  Let's NOT ignore the fact
that Microsoft is trying to keep low cost "children's " PCs out of
western markets, protecting them for Vista based solutions.

As for $3 windows.  That's about the equivalent of $300 in terms of
relative median income.  Roughly 1 days pay at median income.  If
Microsoft spends that $3 in the United States, they only get $3.  If
they spend that $3 in china, they can get an X-box.

If Microsoft insisted that every PC user in the United States pay $300
as an "Activation Fee" for Vista Home Premium - IN ADDITION to the
price paid for the preinstalled Vista as part of the OEM PC price,
they probably wouldn't be buy Vista or any other version of Windows
either.

Keep in mind that $3 in china would buy 2 weeks worth of groceries, a
TV, or a month's rent (though most employees live in employer provided
housing which is strategically placed to prevent the formation of
slums).

Meanwhile, Red Flag Linux is available to any OEM who wants to install
it.  I think they pay a small fee, perhaps 25 cents, to a support
organization.  Often, they retailer builds the machine in front of
you, and installs a hard drive that has Linux preinstalled.  Since
Linux configured itself at boot time instead of install time, it's
pretty easy to use one version of Linux for any machine you build.