[News] [Rival] Microsoft's Latest Scheme to Getting Africans 'Addicted' to Windows?

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft's Latest Scheme to Getting Africans 'Addicted' to Windows?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 11:57:45 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Africa: UN Partners With Microsoft to Bring Technology Benefits to Millions

,----[ Quote ]
| The United Nations telecommunications agency and technology giant Microsoft
| have announced a new partnership to help bring the benefits of information
| and communication technology (ICT) to millions in Africa, a key aim of a
| global summit that kicked off today in Rwanda.
`----

http://allafrica.com/stories/200710291890.html

Propaganda/lock-in machine still in disguise of good cause...

Microsoft projects target young and old

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course, the effort also helped Microsoft promote the parental controls
| embedded in its Vista operating system, which was released earlier this year.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9806949-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Always promoting something and trying to sell stuff, or get people 'addicted'
(READ: shackled).

Related:

Governments Must Reject Gates' $3 Bid to Addict Next Billion PC Users

,----[ Quote ]
| "Microsoft's strategy of getting developing nations hooked on its
| software was clearly outlined by Bill Gates almost a decade ago," said
| Con Zymaris, CEO of long-standing open source firm Cybersource.
|
| Specifically, Bill Gates, citing China as an example, said:
|
|   "Although about 3 million computers get sold every year in China, but
|   people don't pay for the software," he said. "Someday they will, though.
|   As long as they are going to steal it, we want them to steal ours.
|   They'll get sort of addicted, and then we'll somehow figure out how to
|   collect sometime in the next decade."[1]
`----

http://www.cybersource.com.au/press/gates_set_to_addict_next_billion.html

Adobe targets school kids to get them hooked on software

,----[ Quote ]