[News] Linux Distributions Irrelevant, Pertinent Packages Matter Most

  • Subject: [News] Linux Distributions Irrelevant, Pertinent Packages Matter Most
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 09:03:33 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Distros Don’t Drive Development

,----[ Quote ]
| Lots of press and people focus on Linux distributions when they check out
| what happens in Linux land. This and that distro come in new releases and
| they offer this and that brand new feature. This is also true of the many
| linux podcasts. They give credit to distros for new things that pop up.
`----

http://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2007/10/28/distros-dont-drive-development/

How very true. A distro maintained by 3 people can be build from the work of
100,000. Meanwhile, the kernel -- the Linux 'bread and butter' -- keeps
improving.

Removing the i386 and x86_64 Directories

,----[ Quote ]
| "This series kill the old i386 and x86_64 directories. The relevant files are
| moved and adapted and Kconfig.debug was consolidated (thanks to Randy)," Sam
| Ravnborg said, describing a set of 6 patches to finish the migration of
| physical files into the new x86 architecture directory.
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Removing_the_i386_and_x86_64_Directories

Less Rigid Maintainership Structure

,----[ Quote ]
| He [Linus] noted that git is an excellent tool for spreading out maintenance,
| then added, "but even without something like that, I think it's much better
| to try to find people you can trust, rather than strict maintainership
| boundaries."
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Less_Rigid_Maintainership_Structure

Related:

Linux Summit: Forget Microsoft. Let's Get Back To Development

,----[ Quote ]
| "We add 2,000 lines of code a day to the Linux kernel. We work on
| 2,800 lines of code a day. I've never seen the pace of change that b
| Linux has shown," said kernel developer Greg Kroah-Hartman, citing
| the accelerated pace on the open source operating system.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199904052

Only minor upgrades for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Included as well are early experimental components such as the EXT4
| file system, which is an evolution of the currently popular EXT3
| file system.
`----

http://www.star-techcentral.com/tech/story.asp?file=/2006/11/28/prodit/16095637&sec=prodit

First benchmarks of the ext4 file system

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://linux.inet.hr/first_benchmarks_of_the_ext4_file_system.html