[News] [Rights] Hopes for Net Neutrality Reborn Ahead of Presidential Race

  • Subject: [News] [Rights] Hopes for Net Neutrality Reborn Ahead of Presidential Race
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 08:45:55 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Net Neutrality becomes issue in presidential race

,----[ Quote ]
| Net Neutrality could soon get top billing in the upcoming 2008 U.S.
| presidential race.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9806565-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Obama pledges Net neutrality laws if elected president

,----[ Quote ]
| "The answer is yes," Obama replied. "I am a strong supporter of Net
| neutrality."
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9806707-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Comcast starts pretending...

Comcast to employees: talking about blocking P2P can get you fired

,----[ Quote ]
| In the wake of the discovery that Comcast is blocking some peer-to-peer
| traffic (and even blocking some Lotus Notes e-mails), the company is
| attempting to keep the PR machine well-oiled by giving customer tech support
| reps some talking points. And if they deviate from the script and admit that
| Comcast has been using Sandvine to send forged TCP reset packets, they're
| likely to lose their jobs.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071028-comcast-to-employees-talking-about-blocking-p2p-can-get-you-fired.html

Recent:

Comcast's "We Don't Throttle BitTorrent" Internal Talking Points Memo

http://consumerist.com/consumer/leaks/comcasts-we-dont-throttle-bittorrent-internal-talking-points-memo-315791.php

Comcast Isn’t Net Neutral; Are They Liars, Too?

,----[ Quote ]
| Following reports that Comcast isn’t net neutral, Consumerist blog has
| acquired several leaks from Comcast insiders, claiming that they do indeed
| use Sandvine for packet shaping, and that customer service representatives
| are being told nothing about how the network technology works,
`----

http://mashable.com/2007/10/26/comcast-isnt-net-neutral-are-they-liars-too/

Senators want probe of Comcast's BitTorrent 'discrimination'

,----[ Quote ]
| The senators suggested the incidents indicate "Congress should consider
| adopting targeted regulations to protect consumers and ensure a vibrant and
| open communications platform."
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9805308-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Congressman to Comcast: Stop interfering with BitTorrent

,----[ Quote ]
| While a class action lawsuit is definitely one way to get Comcast to behave,
| another perhaps more productive way to do so is to have politicians step in
| and regulate.
|
| On Tuesday, I discussed the issue of Comcast's anti-BitTorrent "network
| management" with Rep. Rick Boucher, D-Va., who is a strong supporter of
| consumer rights and has led the battle to undo the damage caused by the
| Digital Millennium Copyright Act, or DMCA.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9804158-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

OiNK Down, Norwegian BitTorrent Trackers Next

,----[ Quote ]
| With the BitTorrent world spinning on its heels after the shock takedown of
| the huge OiNK tracker, there are now indications that the shutdowns may
| continue. According to the lawyer who lost against ‘DVD Jon’, next stop is
| Norway and raids are imminent.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/oink-down-norwegian-bittorrent-trackers-next-071024/

TorrentSpy Traffic Plunges After US Ban

,----[ Quote ]
| The MPAA has caused TorrentSpy, once the most popular BitTorrent site, some
| serious headaches. After a federal judge ordered TorrentSpy to log all user
| data stored in RAM, they decided to block access to US users, consequently
| their traffic dropped significantly.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/torrentspy-traffic-plunges-after-us-ban-071006/

BitTorrent Admin Monitored by US Government, Forced to Dump Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Sk0t, an ex-administrator of the EliteTorrents BitTorrent tracker is to have
| his internet connection forcibly monitored by the US Government. If that
| wasn’t bad enough, the monitoring software is Windows based - which means he
| is being forced to ditch Linux - or face being barred from the internet.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-admin-monitored-by-us-government-forced-to-dump-linux/

Is Comcast's BitTorrent filtering violating the law?

,----[ Quote ]
| Assuming that the SYN packet goes through, the three-way handshake is allowed
| to happen, then the two hosts will be able to begin communicating. Your ISP
| can still kill the connection later, should they wish to, merely by blocking
| the transmission of future packets.
|
| According to Torrent Freak, Comcast is not doing this. They are instead
| sending a reset (or RST) packet to the Comcast customer, pretending to be
| from the host at the end of the BitTorrent connection.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13739_1-9769645-46.html

Comcast Cuts Off Heavy Internet Users

,----[ Quote ]
| Customers complain bandwidth limits are secret.
`----

http://consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/08/comcast_ban.html?imw=Y

Torrentspy Disables Searching For US IPs

| Torrent indexing site Torrentspy.com appears to have disabled torrent
| searches for IPs that originate in the United States.
`----

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/08/27/1541244&from=rss

Comcast Throttles BitTorrent Traffic, Seeding Impossible

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the past weeks more and more Comcast users started to notice that their
| BitTorrent transfers were cut off. Most users report a significant decrease
| in download speeds, and even worse, they are unable to seed their downloads.
| A nightmare for people who want to keep up a positive ratio at private
| trackers and for the speed of BitTorrent transfers in general.
|
| [...]
|
| Last year we had a discussion whether traffic shaping is good or bad, and
| ISPs made it pretty clear that they do not like P2P applications like
| BitTorrent. One of the ISPs that joined our discussions said: “The fact is,
| P2P is (from my point of view) a plague - a cancer, that will consume all the
| bandwidth that I can provide. It’s an insatiable appetite.”, and another one
| stated: “P2P applications can cripple a network, they’re like leaches. Just
| because you pay 49.99 for a 1.5-3.0mbps connection doesn’t mean your entitled
| to use whatever protocols you wish on your ISP’s network without them
| provisioning it to make the network experience good for all users involved.”
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/comcast-throttles-bittorrent-traffic-seeding-impossible/

Anti-Piracy Company Wants to Sell Patents to Protect P2P

,----[ Quote ]
| Recently we reported that anti-piracy company Viralg is selling the patents
| to its technology on eBay for $1,000,000. Most people didn’t think it was
| value for money but Viralg have been in touch and they have a new idea -
| selling the patents to P2P’ers to help prevent some future anti-P2P
| technology.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/anti-piracy-company-wants-to-sell-patents-to-protect-p2p-070927/

Studies: music industry overstating threat of P2P piracy

,----[ Quote ]
| Or perhaps it's not all that amazing. A more likely explanation is
| that the numbers aren't even right. As Canadian law professor Michael
| Geist showed a few weeks ago, claims about piracy rates can be wildly
| variable and downright fictional. High numbers are often used to
| support legal threats or calls for Congressional action, as in the
| MRT case. MRT has a lot to gain by overstating the threat of
| streamripping and, so far, has not showed its numbers. Both MRT
| and NPD agree, though, that P2P is hardly the music industry's
| biggest problem.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070531-studies-music-industry-overstating-threat-of-p2p-piracy.html

File sharing could threaten personal and national security

,----[ Quote ]
| A recent government report says that the old adage "buyer beware" now
| even applies to those who are not technically buying anything at all.
| Despite the reputation of "free" downloads, much of the illegal file
| sharing done on the internet comes at a steep price: personal and
| national security.
`----

http://www.edn.com/index.asp?layout=article&articleid=CA6424471&partner=eb&spacedesc=news

The European Parliament approves new, stricter anti-piracy directive

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Parliament voted yes on the new controversial directive
| Ipred 2 which concludes that all kinds of infringement of the
| intellectual copyrights will be considered criminal. The directive
| is actually stricter than that and even criminalizes attempts of
| infringing on copyrights. In theory this means that basically all
| video sites, P2P developers and other services used to spread
| material around the web is criminal.
`----

http://www.nordichardware.com/news,6197.html

Russian music site down, sister site up

,----[ Quote ]
| Allofmp3 has been cast as the epitome of Russia's shoddy copyright
| enforcement and repeatedly held up by U.S. trade negotiators as
| imperiling Moscow's WTO bid.
|
| But a sister site has quietly emerged from the wings.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070703/ap_on_hi_te/russia_music_downloads

AllOfMP3 Shut Down by Russian Government

,----[ Quote ]
| AllOfMp3, the popular online music store, has been shut down by the
|  Russian government. Pressure from the United States, and a refusal
| to enter the World Trade Organisation (WTO) convinced the Kremlin to
| take the website down for good.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/allofmp3-shut-down-by-russian-government/

File-sharing 'graveyard' still filling up

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6194001.html