Re: [News] Russian School May Have No Choice But to Use Linux

____/ [H]omer on Saturday 27 October 2007 19:34 : \____

>> | 233 MHz and 128MB DDR.
>> `----
>>
>> http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn.shtml?2007/10/25/272200
>>
>> I guess these PCs can't run Vista. Those who hate Linux simply assume
>> that budgets are infinite and all schools can afford to buy new PCs.
>
> It's the intentional planned obsolescence scam, perpetrated by collusion
> between Microsoft and the hardware vendors. The hardware vendors provide
> the ever-more energy sucking devices, whilst Microsoft provides the
> "Goatware" that so desperately needs it.
   ^^^^^^^^

I can't recall which recent article it came from, but it sure likes
being /milked/ by the hardware. It's also very /cheesy/ and as solid as Swiss
cheese. Meh.

> GNU/Linux provides an entirely different kind of symbiosis, one that
> mutually benefits both the developers *and* the users, rather than the
> just the vendors and their "partners".

Therefore, it needs to face a lot of resistance from a lot of greedy and
wealthy parties. What escapes the "partners'" attention though is the fact
that with more affordable hardware and lighter operating systems, more units
will be sold because they will reach more people (watch OLPC, which was too
disruptive to Microsoft and Intel to accept).

There tends to be a closed discussion between Pearly and Intel's CEO. In a
recent one you could see that there is a lot of interaction that defines the
need for performance. Pearly was told by Intel to built a better O/S because
it wasn't possible to utilise the processors very well. Then came OLPC and
worked around their little conspiracy. They weren't too happy.

Remember that Intel is vary cautious when it comes to embracing Linux, but it
is beginning to realise that it hasn't a choice, especially when long-term
consequences are considered.

Intel Seen Using China Forum to Detail Plans on Hand-Helds

,----[ Quote ]
| That software effort does not have the support of Mr. Otellini, who
| is concerned about incurring Microsoft's wrath, the executive said.
| The two companies have a long history of tension over who controls
| the hardware and software direction of the "Wintel standard." Intel
| has said it is supporting both operating systems.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/16/technology/16chip.html?ex=1177560000&en=2ef52cee6b1fb0e3&ei=5099&partner=TOPIXNEWS

Microsoft plays a role too:

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp is using scare tactics to exert pressure on PC vendors
| not to explore the potential of desktop Linux, according to Novell
| Inc president and COO, Ron Hovsepian
`----

http://www.commentwire.com/article_news.asp?guid=2044AB5A-59CA-4EC3-AD3F-73DF7BC4F8E0
(CBR)

Did Microsoft want to 'whack' Dell over its Linux dealings?

http://news.com.com/Did+Microsoft+want+to+whack+Dell+over+its+Linux+dealings/2100-1014_3-6153904.html

Dell's secret Linux fling [sabotaged by Microsoft]

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/09/dell_linux_china/

Microsoft 'killed Dell Linux' - States

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/03/19/microsoft_killed_dell_linux_states/

Thing began to take a turn when Intel's CEO said that UNIX-type O/Ses are the
future, at least on mobile devices. And then you could also add these:

Five Ways Intel Will Weaken Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| 1. More Windows Server competition: Already, we’ve seen the Intel-Red Hat
| alliance make Red Hat Linux a wildly popular operating system for Intel
| server grids. Red Hat’s momentum, The VAR Guy believes, prompted Microsoft to
| align with Novell.
|
| 2. More server application competition: Centric CRM will, undoubtedly,
| increasingly compete with Microsoft Dynamics CRM, Oracle/Siebel,
| Salesforce.com and other CRM software providers.
|
| 3. More desktop competition: Intel is one of the loudest promoters of Ubuntu
| Linux — the fast-growing open source desktop operating system. In fact, Intel
| and Dell among the top sponsors of the upcoming UbuntuLIVE conference in
| July.
|
| 4. More mobile device competition: Intel also is working with Ubuntu on a
| mobile/embedded version of Linux for Internet devices and smart phones.
| Preliminary code should ship this fall, with Intel-based mobile devices
| running Ubuntu arriving in early 2008.
|
| 5. Less Intimidation By Microsoft: In the 1990s, Microsoft’s overwhelming
| power intimidated PC suppliers and hardware companies. These days, decisions
| by Dell and Intel to aggressively support open source gives smaller hardware
| companies the confidence they need to break away from Microsoft whenever
| appropriate.
`----

http://techiqmag.com/2007/06/19/five-ways-intel-will-weaken-microsoft/

Snubbing Microsoft, Intel to Offer TransMedia's Glide Application
Suite on Ultra Mobile PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| Glide should also prove less expensive for Intel's hardware partners
| than software licenses for Microsoft Office. And when a Linux-compatible
| version of Glide finally arrives next year, cost-conscious PC and mobile
| device makers will be able to save the cost of a Windows license as well.
| In theory, Glide could be used to popularize the Linux desktop for
| consumers--the Glide environment would serve to insulate users
| from complexities of command line computing.
|
| It remains to be seen, however, whether Intel's hardware partners are
| eager antagonize the world's largest software maker by marketing a
| low-cost, Microsoft-free PC.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=193200768

Lastly, here are some obligatory links about Microsoft's and Intel's joint
fight for greed, through illegal tactics, FUD, and some will say corruption
(blocking government deals in sneaky ways).

Poor Kids' Laptop Cranks Up

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates earlier this year told the Microsoft
| Government Leaders Forum, "Geez, get a decent computer where you can
| actually read the text and you?re not sitting there cranking the thing
| while you're trying to type" (see Bill Gates Mocks $100 Laptop).
`----

http://www.redherring.com/article.aspx?a=17302

One Laptop Per Child - Production Delays Caused By Microsoft, Intel?

,----[ Quote ]
| I sincerely hope that no matter what the people who are running the
| OLPC project decide, that their project will continue and not get
| bogged down in a play of corporate greed and ambitions.
`----

http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/blade/2007/04/28/one-laptop-per-child-production-delays-caused-by-microsoft-intel/

Negroponte says Intel should be "ashamed of itself"

,----[ Quote ]
| He is furious that Intel's CEO Craig Barrett called the One Laptop a
| gadget. The Negroponte initiative is caught in the middle of a vicious
| fight between AMD and Intel, he said.

| That software effort does not have the support of Mr. Otellini, who
| is concerned about incurring Microsoft's wrath, the executive said.
| The two companies have a long history of tension over who controls
| the hardware and software direction of the "Wintel standard." Intel
| has said it is supporting both operating systems.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/16/technology/16chip.html?ex=1177560000&en=2ef52cee6b1fb0e3&ei=5099&partner=TOPIXNEWS

Intel Inside the Third World

,----[ Quote ]
| Negroponte has repeatedly criticized Intel for what he considers its
| hardball tactics. And yet the rivals may be ready to bury the hatchet:
| BusinessWeek has learned that Intel and OLPC executives are in talks
| regarding how they can work together.
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/jun2007/gb20070628_140912.htm?campaign_id=yhoo

Q&A: Intel's Maloney discusses digital divide

,----[ Quote ]
| The One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) project also hopes its low-cost XO laptop
| can close the "digital divide" that exists between the developed world
| and emerging markets.
|
| Much has been made of these two efforts, which are often painted as
| rivals by the media and observers.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070611/tc_infoworld/89252

Which laptop per child?

,----[ Quote ]
| The chipmaking giant Intel is accused of damaging the non-profit scheme to
| provide cheap laptops for the developing world. It says it's helping.
|
| [...]
|
| It is not the first time that Intel has been accused of using its
| near monopoly to overpower rivals - for example, it is being
| investigated by the European Commission over allegations of
| anti-competitive behaviour. AMD, Intel's only major rival and
| the company which supplies the chips inside the XO-1, did not
| waste an opportunity to go on the offensive.
|
| "What we have here is an infinitely powerful monopoly
| metaphorically threatening to break the kneecaps of a non-profit
| if it doesn't 'get in line'," wrote AMD spokesman Michael
| Silverman in a letter published on the Barron's website.
`----

http://technology.guardian.co.uk/weekly/story/0,,2091248,00.html

Merrill: Intel's More Interested In Crushing AMD Than Improving Margins

,----[ Quote ]
| They think that Intel is a lot more interested in reducing AMD to
| its former status than in showing much gross margin improvementt
| his year.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070309/29149_id.html?.v=1

Negreponte says Intel spurned cheap laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| Nicholas Negreponte at MIT said that Intel's Craig Barrett and
| Microsoft's Bill Gate had admitted remarks they'd made about the one
| notebook per child initiative were unfortunate.
|
| Speaking to CNBC Europe, Negreponte said that from his point of view
| it was unfortunate too, because when he and his team talked to
| leaders of small countries the remarks were thrown back in their
| face.

| Though Pentium 4s can sell for up to $637, Intel's average
| cost for making a chip comes to $40, according to a report
| from analysts In-Stat.
|
| The report doesn't consider expenses related to design
| or marketing...
`----

http://news.com.com/Intels+manufacturing+cost+40+per+chip/2100-1006_3-5862922.html

Intel: Only "Open" for Business

,----[ Quote ]
| These vendors often want a quiet private discussion,
| because in a quiet private discussion they can continue to
| dismiss the requests and in the end do absolutely nothing.
| They do not want a noisy public discussion, because then
| they look bad. But they DESERVE TO LOOK BAD, because they
| are being bad to those who bought their hardware!
`----

http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20060930232710&mode=expanded

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Previous signature has been conceded
 01:05:01 up 11 days, 10:50,  4 users,  load average: 1.33, 1.07, 1.02