[News] Linux and Free Software Also Used in Amazon

  • Subject: [News] Linux and Free Software Also Used in Amazon
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 01:44:20 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
The Wisdom of Crowds

,----[ Quote ]
| Oh, and incidentally, both Google and Amazon didn't write all this software
| themselves. Nor did they buy it.
|
| Instead, they used the "free" software created by programmers, then given to
| the world. The Linux operating system. The Apache web server. The SQL
| database system. And so on.
|
| [...]
|
| Open source is moving into the mainstream, and a lot of librarians think that
| its deployment in the public sector makes a lot of sense. For a long time
| now, the public good has been held hostage to the business plan of people for
| whom "the public good" doesn't mean much.
`----

http://denver.yourhub.com/HighlandsRanch/Stories/Sound-Off/Write-a-Column/Story~383544.aspx

Patent Reformers O'Reilly, Bezos Mum on 1-Click

,----[ Quote ]
| Equally untalkative was Bezos, who deflected questions on the damage done by
| Calveley's DIY legal effort, telling a Wall Street analyst to 'refer to our
| public filings' (although nothing on the subject appears in the 8-K and 10-Q
| filings).
`----

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/10/27/1144222&from=rss

Related:

Linux Expo Offers Peek Inside Amazon, EBay Data Centers

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux went little mentioned in the opening day's keynotes at this week's
| LinuxWorld conference in San Francisco, where for the first time the open
| source geekfest shares space with the debut Next Generation Data Center
| conference.
`----

http://www.crn.com/networking/201301095

(Amazon's Open Source Strategy)
LIVE BLOG: MIT Emerging Tech (Morning)

,----[ Quote ]
| In short, Amazon.com has launched several services
| that allow small companies to leverage the powerful
| tools of a big company such as Amazon.com. For instance,
| Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2), creates a virtual
| Web-based Linux server that a small company can rent
| at 10 cents per CPU hour...  Bezos also described a
| fulfillment center service that the company offers,
| wherein a company can request both warehouse space
| and order fulfillment services for their own products.
| Amazon is literally offering distribution to their
| competitors!
|
| It is, in short, open source business strategy.
`----

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/technology_news/4198966.html

USPTO Increases Scope Of Amazon's 1-Click Patent

,----[ Quote ]
| It apparently found its way into the hands of a sympathetic (and impatient)
| USPTO Examiner who had earlier defended his friends for approving 1-Click
| in the first place and referred 1-Click naysayers to a letter to the WSJ
| penned by the ex-Commissioner for Patents.

Open Source Communications and SIP Come to Amazon.com

,----[ Quote ]
| If you have any doubt about the future of open source
| communications, consider it shattered: Amazon.com will soon be
| deploying 5,000 phones connected to the Pingtel ECS platform
| running on Linux.
|
| The question is why would Amazon switch out their existing PBX, and
| the answer is that the leading e-commerce site already runs about
| 20,000 Red Hat Linux servers?so they are what you might call "comfortable"
| with Linux to begin with. This install will add three more Linux
| servers to the mix.
`----

http://voipforenterprise.tmcnet.com/feature/service-solutions/articles/3008-open-source-communications-sip-come-amazoncom.htm
http://tinyurl.com/f3mnx

rPath Provides On-Ramp to Amazon Grid Services

,----[ Quote ]
| Significantly, rPath does not use Red Hat Linux for its
| virtualization onramp. "Red Hat Linux is monolithic. One size
| fits all," said Marshall. Instead, rPath lets customers (who are
| ISVs and therefore presumably know a thing or two about how
| their products use OS features) pick and choose the pieces
| that are embedded into their offerings.
`----

http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=0DCA943B-1853-4C79-B98E-7C683A0CE8C5

ElasticDrive Beta 0.1.6 - Amazon S3 FileSystem

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://opensourceblog.itproportal.com/?p=396