Re: Leopard Installation appears stuck on a plain blue screen

____/ [H]omer on Saturday 27 October 2007 23:45 : \____

> But remember folks, proprietary software is "superior" to our Open
> Source "Slopware" ... because of all the money that is invested in
> developing it, the paid "professional" engineers that work on it, and
> the after sale support that comes as stranded (sic).

There are various reasons for this perception:

1. With proprietary software, people phone a company to talk about their
computer problems, so recurrent problems do not always appear on the Web for
everyone to observe.

2. PR departments hide mistakes.

3. Troll that are either fearful of Free software or paid to discredit it.

4. Proprietary software is, on average, less verbose. Problems are often
encountered without the user realising it (silence as illusion of no problem =
short-term bliss). What about data corruption? Case of point: plug some USB
device and watch how Linux reports irregularities whereas the Mac or Windows
might simply refuse to work or not report the problems that are real. Worse --
without access to the workings under the bonnet, it's harder to fix or work
around issues in proprietary software. The RRR cycle comes to mind: restart;
reboot; reinstall (app or O/S).

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "The only source is Open Source"
         run-level 2  2007-10-16 15:14                   last=