Re: Leopard Installation appears stuck on a plain blue screen

  • Subject: Re: Leopard Installation appears stuck on a plain blue screen
  • From: "[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 23:45:36 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Verily I say unto thee, that Peter Köhlmann spake thusly:

> http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1195031&tstart=0
>
> So much for the "superior" quality of apple software
>
> They are every bit as incompetent as their Redmond counterparts

This is hilarious.

Some highlights:

.----
| the installation 'completed', then the computer rebooted and it has
| been sitting on a plain blue screen for the past 30 minutes.
|
| There is no progress indicator of any sort but I can occasionally
| hear the hard drive seeking.
|
| Should I restart my Mac or keep waiting???
|
| [...]
|
| phone apple
|
| [...]
|
| I'm on the phone to them and they can't help!!
|
| [...]
|
| You really have no other choice at this point - other than to
| re-start actually power down and start-up - and pray!
|
| [...]
|
| Rebooted.
|
| Same problem. The question is: If I wait, how long is too long?
|
| [...]
|
| I sincerely hope that you backed up your data
|
| [...]
|
| I didn't do a backup... actually, I should clarify that... I used
| the Backup program which repeatedly failed to do the backup. I gave
| up after a few days.
|
| [...]
|
| I called with the same problem many of you have reported.
|
|    ... The rep told me that rebooting can actually cause damage if
| the system is going through it's HD verification process. He also
| said it can take up to 2 hours on my model of Apple. He gave me a
| case number and said to wait 2 hours
|
| [...]
|
| hmmmm. I feel like a windoze user now. I have re-installed and it
| has been sitting there with a blue screen for 4 1/2 hours. Not
| good. I am not installing this on my desktop since I need one
| computer to work. Speaking of work...don't have a work computer as
| of now.
|
| [...]
|
| A check of the system.log (via single-user mode) seemed to imply
| (to my educated-layman's eye) that the loginwindow process was
| repeatedly exiting and restarting itself -- there were multiple
| error messages to this end in the logs. I've tried all the
| suggestions here, and none have helped -- I can't boot into safe
| mode. Considering that this is at least the second thread I've seen
| here with this problem, it looks like this is not an isolated issue.
`----

Followed by a chorus of MeToo®...

But remember folks, proprietary software is "superior" to our Open
Source "Slopware" ... because of all the /money/ that is invested in
developing it, the /paid/ "professional" engineers that work on it, and
the after sale support that comes as stranded (sic).

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "[Microsoft] are willing to lose money for years and years just to
|  make sure that you don't make any money, either." - Bob Cringely.
|  - http://blog.businessofsoftware.org/2007/07/cringely-the-un.html

 23:43:49 up 79 days, 22:38,  3 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.03, 0.07