Re: [News] The MSBBC Corruption: A 'Smoking Gun'

Mark Kent wrote:

> Kier <vallon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 09:56:37 +0100, Mark Kent wrote:
>>
>>> [H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> What he seems utterly unable to grasp is that it's the people, perhaps
>>> his own neighbours, who are losing their jobs, whilst those at Microsoft
>>> are trousering our licence-fee cash.
>>
>> One again, may I remind you that MS has employees with families, and you
>> are always crying for it to be destroyed.
>
> That is an out and out lie, Kier.

It's utter bullshit.

1] AFAIK M$ were producing the iPlayer *anyway*, regardless of whether the
BBC used it or not. So his was a strawman argument, IMO.

2] People have a choice whether they use M$ products or not. There is NO
such choice of being able to subscribe to the BBC or not. You want a tv in
the UK, you pay a licence fee. The BBC aren't accountable to the fee-paying
public per-se, they squander *your* money how *they* want.

3] The ex-M$ people at the BBC *decided* to use the iPLayer, NO one else.
They *sold off* the BBC Technology arm (a *profitable* business) to Siemens
around 2004, with approval of the government (Tessa Jowell rubber stamped
it, which just goes to show how much politicians know IMO). They
effectively sold their "nerve system".

Graig Dwyer said that they had determined that the BBC would save more by
selling it. Considering what they have squandered with M$ to date, it rings
rather hollow IMO.
http://www.thewhir.com/features/euro-bbctech.cfm

I found this interesting:-
<quote>
BBC chairman Michael Grade has announced the death of the "old imperial BBC"
which can no longer make "cosy deals behind closed doors" in a speech
laying out the radical implications of the government's broadcasting white
paper on charter renewal.
<unquote>
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2006/mar/30/bbc.broadcasting
Really, Mr Grade? And you were open & honest about the M$ iPlayer deal,
regarding cost etc?

<quote>
Referring to the replacement of the BBC board of governors with a BBC Trust
and separate executive board, Mr Grade said that this meant that the
corporation "can no longer be perceived as "a law unto itself".
<unquote>

Really? Well I don't trust the "BBC Trust" one bit. Who elected them, the
fee-paying public?

<quote>
He added that the new BBC Trust, of which he is designate chair, "will
deliver to the private sector the clarity and comfort they have long
demanded".
<unquote>

Hmm...a euphemism for handing over the BBC to M$?

4] Intersting to note that broadcasters in other countries (like India) have
chosen to go down the Open Source route. Although there would still be
costs incurred, it probably won't be as costly as dealing with M$ & at
least the product they end up with would be *theirs*.

> Once again, I remind you that these are *real people*, daddy is coming
> home to tell his children that they won't be getting Christmas presents
> this year, or going on holiday, because Eric Huggers has spent £130
> millions with Microsoft, and has received, in return, nothing at all.
> So the BBC has to sack some people and close some buildings, Kier.
>
> These are *real people*, Kier.  It's not a sob story, it's *real*.

Quite so.

--
Operating systems: FreeBSD 6.2, PC-BSD 1.4,
Testing: FreeBSD 7.0-BETA1.5