Re: [News] More So-called 'Standards' Become Patent-encumbered (Like OOXML)

____/ Mark Kent on Friday 26 October 2007 15:15 : \____

http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/software-patents/draft-housley-tls-authz-extns.html

> This was the approach the US Government pushed through the ITU a few
> years ago - to allow ITU standards to include patented works.  It's a
> disgusting attempt at monopolisation, and morally reprehensible.  The
> IETF has always been an order of magnitude worse than the ITU in terms
> of checks and balances around undue influence, so I expect that this
> problem will continue to get worse.

Previously, the issue was resolved when people refused to embrace improvement
(fear of lawsuits). Nice way to promote innovation, eh? The consumer 'wins'.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Watch your step, that soapbox is very slippery