[News] Linux is Getting Big in Asian Governments, Something Rotten in Victoria

  • Subject: [News] Linux is Getting Big in Asian Governments, Something Rotten in Victoria
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 14:52:41 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Asian governments driving demand for open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Asian governments are pivotal to Red Hat Inc.'s goal of earning 60 percent of
| its revenue from outside the US by the end of 2009, said Matthew Szulik, the
| company's chairman, chief executive officer, and president, in a conference
| call on Thursday.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/102507-asian-governments-driving-demand-for.html

Victorian Government Microsoft's $23 million Vista patsy: consultant

,----[ Quote ]
| Zymaris has issued a call to the Victorian Government to open up its IT
| software purchases to a competitive tender process.
|                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|
| "This disregard for alternatives has gone on for long enough and has to be
| stopped," said Zymaris. "We call on the Department of Education to ensure
| that its tenders for computer platform, office productivity and related
| desktop software are truly open to the market, to give vendors besides
| Microsoft the opportunity to submit bids."
|
| According to Zymaris, Vista is a problematic platform that is being rejected
| by the rest of the world.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15037/53/

See below. Seems like a CIO left (got sacked?) there recently, based on
something I read yesterday. Microsoft playing a switcharoo again? Like in
Finland and Mass.?

Con also wrote in the past about a tender process involving decision-makers
paying big vendors or pals. It's a corrupt thing.

Recent:

SA eyes Apple, Red Hat to dodge vendor lock-in

| The South Australian government is looking at a software overhaul that could
| see Apple or Red Hat taking over from Microsoft on the state's PCs. Analysts
| warn, however, skills costs could still lead to a software environment
| dominated by a single platform.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/insight/software/soa/SA-eyes-Apple-Red-Hat-to-dodge-vendor-lock-in/0,139023769,339283166,00.htm?feed=rss

LAMS rollout across entire NT school system

.----
|    The Northern Territory Department of Employment, Education and
| Training (DEET) today began the rollout of Macquarie University's
| Learning Activity Management System (LAMS) software to all NT
| public schools.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=782325428&rid=-50

Related:

Copyright law reinforces monopoly, Open Source Society warns MPs

,----[ Quote ]
| The New Zealand Open Source Society is opposing those parts of the
| Copyright Amendment Bill that would make it illegal to circumvent
| technological protection of copyright.
|
| The society argued, before a parliamentary committee, that such measures
| would reinforce Microsoft's market power.
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/DFF5E36288E85D11CC2572DA00352758

Lessig: Required Reading: the next 10 years

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.lessig.org/blog/archives/003800.shtml#003800