Re: [News] Another Microsoft victim dumps Vista for Linux

> ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 23 October 2007 13:30 : \____
>
>> William Poaster <wp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> I found that out a long time ago.

>>> So should everyone, IMO. Just ignore the jerk.
>>>

>> Feeding the trolls is a waste of time and bandwidth.
>
> It's also clutter, which is why filtering can be more fruitful than just
> ignoring.
>
> It's rather amazing to see that almost nobody trolls the Windows and Mac
> advocacy groups. Linux gets all the attention (people who are fearful). That
> ought to be a compliment and confirmation of the fact that Linux is bound to
> dominate the desktop as well, eventually.

You're quite right, it says very much about the difference between the
philosophies of the free software world versus those of the proprietary
world.  The proprietary folk apparently see nothing wrong with invading
a space, polluting it with off-topic offensive anti-charter material in
support of their paymasters and philosophies.

You don't see the free software folk doing the same, thankfully.

> It already dominates many other
> areas, but it's hard to track usage of something which is free and not
> controlled by companies that unleash many press releases and prod journalists.

There is still very much the view that success can be bought.  In spite
of the constant growth of free software over the last 15 years plus,
there are *still* some who think it can be stopped with negative press.

Those people who believe this are the ones who, in my view, are most
living in the past, or "in denial", as Cosmopolitan would put it.