Re: [News] Remembering the value of "Free"

  • Subject: Re: [News] Remembering the value of "Free"
  • From: Kier <vallon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 09:11:12 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 05:38:31 +0100, [H]omer wrote:

> The Role and Value of Truly Free Linux Distributions
>
> .----
> |    As GNU/Linux becomes more popular, the motives behind its
> | inceptions are often forgotten. Linux is a free operating system,
> | but its broadening userbase perceives this freedom as pertaining to
> | cost, not rights and liberty.
> `----
>
> http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3706441
>
> An excellent article promoting the importance of strictly Free distros
> such as gNewSense and Gobuntu.

ALl power to 'em; if that's what some people want, I'm glad they have that
option available. But most ordinary users - and if Linux usage really
begins to take off, they'll be in the majority - want all the codecs and
other functionality that Windows users have, and which a completely Free
distros cannot provide.

Still, I don't think totally Free distros are at all a bad thing, just not
relevent to most people.

--
Kier