Re: BECTA$ reports Micoshaft to Office of Fair Trading

> ____/ 7 on Saturday 20 October 2007 17:40 : \____
>
>> Mark Kent wrote:
>>
>>> 7 <website_has_email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> The problem actually runs rather deeper than you'd think.  Quite a lot
>>> of fairly essential software for schools (grading/testing, as well as
>>> financial management) is very much Microsoft-only, which means moving
>>> off an all-MS environment is tougher than you'd think.  It's not
>>> impossible, though, and we're looking at it at my school.
>>

>> All it requires is one person(s) to unlock the key and the
>> procedure can be replicated across EU.
>> Norway has already done it.
>> UK could go there on a fact finding mission and copy the
>> model exactly.
>
> Norways is used as an example by the OSC. The same goes for the EU's think
> tanks paper on 'naked PCs'. Give it time. BECTA crooks will run away.

The biggest problem we have is the corruption.  We have far too many
career "managers" and "civil servants" and other non-technical types
put into technical roles.  Frankly, they don't have a clue about what
they're doing, so they follow trends instead.  This makes them total
victims for senior-level sales pitches with lots of colourful slides
and animations, with meaningless "functional" diagrams, data-flows,
user interactions and tosh about "value" and "value add" and so on.

It would be better to put technical people into technical roles, and
actually trust their judgement.