Re: Eudora E-mail Program Reborn as Open Source

____/ Rick on Sunday 09 September 2007 16:53 : \____

> On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 00:49:50 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> ____/ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Saturday 08 September 2007 22:18 :
>> \____
>>
>>> <Quote>
>>> Qualcomm donates the e-mail program Eudora to the open-source
>>> community.
>>>
>>> BOSTON (Reuters)-Eudora, a pioneering e-mail program named after author
>>> Eudora Welty, is rising from a technical grave as an open source
>>> program after owner Qualcomm Inc quit selling the product in May.
>>>
>>> Eudora routinely got strong reviews from computer magazines and had a
>>> loyal user base, but commercially it was overshadowed by software that
>>> Microsoft Corp included with new personal computers, International
>>> Business Machine's Lotus software and Web e-mail programs.
>>>
>>> Qualcomm donated Eudora to the open-source community, which means that
>>> anybody is free to download and use it without paying for the product.
>>> Developers can also access the code, change it and share those changes.
>>> </Quote>
>>>
>>> http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2180649,00.asp
>>
>> Eveything ends up in the form of open source, which thrives in reuse.
>> This marks the impact of an unstoppable trend!
>
> ... exactly its not --really-- Eudora. It's a re-write complimenting
> Thunderbird and without some licensed bits.

It's still a type of convergence that adds filters. You can always diverge
(fork) if you wish.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | BadVista? I guess it makes Vista a dog.
Mem:    515500k total,   441664k used,    73836k free,     2292k buffers