Re: [News] [Rival] Edinburgh's Council Locks Itself in to Microsoft's Monopoly

____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Friday 07 September 2007 16:02 : \____

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Fri, 07 Sep 2007 02:21:54 +0100
> <1410018.fN9kTnBP0q@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Thursday 06 September 2007 17:06 : \____
>>
>>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
>>> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>>  wrote
>>> on Thu, 06 Sep 2007 01:39:12 +0100

>>> [snippage]

>>> I wouldn't know regarding china.  I'm one of the Gentoo
>>> users; it is a stable, flexible distro.  Its main problem
>>> may be ease of setup -- but the Handbook helps in that
>>> regard.

>>> Their package database is still being audited, as of this
>>> morning.
>>
>> I hear that Sabayon is loaded with about 7 GB of programs
>> (uncompressed). While it doesn't mean 'Registry bloat'
>> (many installation do not slow Linux down or, if so, it's
>> not a linear function), it means less stability and consistency.
>>
>> Of course, you could also use an apt-get-based distro. I  really love being
>> able to fetch any piece of software within 10 seconds by just typing its
>> name. The same goes for removal and updates.
>>

> Gentoo: 'emerge mozilla-firefox'
>
> Almost as easy as apt-get.

That's one character less, so Gentoo is quicker (assuming you go get a cup of
coffee shortly after issuing the command, for Gentoo will need to compile).

> The main issue with Gentoo
> is that the local system has to build it.  There is a
> porthole package that slaps a GUI on emerge but I've
> not gotten it to work to my satisfaction yet; most of
> the packages indicate "bad/blank digest", for example,
> and for some reason it thinks it should bring up Opera as
> the default browser.
>
> Config issues, I'm certain.
>
> As for "registry bloat"...there is an equivalent in Linux,
> namely, the directory containing all of the config files,
> which may lead to a O(log(N)) search performance issue.

True. Then again, there are other tricks you have to consider here. For
example, in KDE, rather than parsing text files, hashtable or some other
lookup methods (akin to databases) are used for speed. You have to look under
the hood.

> The Gentoo download tree contains quite a bit of
> source in its own right -- I have 2.3 gigabytes in
> /usr/portage/distfiles, and that's not all that complete.
> These include such things as previous versions of course.

One person' diction is another's verbiage
Tasks: 136 total,   1 running, 134 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie