Re: [News] Sun Prepares for Major Changes Amid Attempted Assault on Linux

____/ Mark Kent on Friday 07 September 2007 22:31 : \____

> The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Mark Kent
>><mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>>  wrote
>> on Fri, 7 Sep 2007 16:25:09 +0100
>><l378r4-fh6.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> A linux distributor could be useful - imagine having all the linux
>>> distribution codebase ported to solaris?  Something like
>>> Debian/GNU/Solaris, say?
>>>

>> Um...that is a *very* confused sentence; both Solaris and
>> Linux are effectively kernels (though the Solaris kernel
>> is surrounded by a bunch of utilities and libraries; for
>> its part the Linux kernel is surrounded by GNU utilities
>> and libraries, plus non-GNU freeware and a lot of other
>> stuff, in most distros).
>
> It was a bit tortured, I agree, but I was referring to the packages in a
> distribution, not the linux kernel, and had tried to make that clear by
> saying debian/gnu/solaris.  There is already debian-win32 and debian-bsd
> (probably moribund, but they have been tried), so why not
> debian-solaris?
>

>> Are you perhaps referring to a FLOSS codebase, instead?
>> One of the more interesting aspects of Gentoo, at least
>> in theory, is that, if Portage works on a system, the rest
>> can follow, regardless of whether it's Linux-based or not.
>> Portage is largely based on Python.
>>
>> A Gentoo/HURD project is somewhere in the works, though not
>> as developed as Gentoo/Linux.  One could contemplate some
>> odd mixtures: Gentoo/HP/UX, Gentoo/Solaris, Gentoo/QNX,
>> Gentoo/Cygnus-Windows, etc.  (Granted, the last one would
>> probably be slightly pointless...a "because it was there"
>> sort of thing.)

It sounds like there's hope for a GNU GPLv3-ed Gentoo distribution. BSDs and
OpenSolaris aside, this is an interesting possibility, but it's unlikely to
fly (through adoption) any time soon. I hope that Simon Phipps will choose
GPLv3 for OpenSolaris and then force Morton and Torvalds to follow suit. In
the mailing list, these consequences were discussed as reasonable. Linus might
have no choice but to accept the improves licence if Sun does this first.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Vista: as the reputation of "Longhorn" was mucked