Re: [News] Intel Deeper in Antitrust Mud While AMD Buddies up with Open Source and Linux

____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 06 September 2007 16:54 : \____

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/amd-lose-another-sales-executive/story.aspx?guid=%7B69C1A925-66D8-4905-9519-7251235FEAD3%7D&siteid=yhoof

>>> It's funny this, because if there'd been an open-source ATI driver
>>> around for the last few years, I'd've always bought ATI cards.  Most of
>>> the processors here are AMD or PPC, except where they're ARM or MIPS...
>>> I've a couple of Intel, too, but they were always more expensive for
>>> similar performance when I was buying.
>>
>> Dell uses ATI for the Linux PCs. They'll get the drivers they requested.
>> This is great news indeed.
>>

> As I've always considered, once large OEMs are after such things, they
> will appear with alacrity.  I suspect that Microsoft's threats have done
> much to prevent the appearance of OSS drivers, but the appallingly poor
> sales of Vista seem to have eliminated much of the fear-factor now.
> What more is there to lose anyway?  Might as well get on the next
> bandwagon, too.

Just posted the latest (it's allowed because AMD unleashed the press release,
so no embargo). It's open source heaven (gradual though) and I suspect that
others will follow suit, not just in the GPUs market.

> I think we'll see a mass exodus of freed vendors soon - those who realise
> that /their/ tipping point has arrived, where sales into the new market
> are becomming significant, and those into the old market are falling
> ever faster.
>
> The key really is getting floss drivers;  binary blobs don't really cut
> the mustard.

Not anymore. Your recent argument about binary drivers has just changed
completely. Intel and AMD are both supporting what the market demands.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Nothing to see in this sig, please move along"