Re: Linux to Recover More Wasted Memory

dapunka <dapunka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> On 6 Sep, 01:11, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Linux: Slab Defragmentation
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Christoph noted that the patch is difficult to validate and measure
>> | because, "activities are only performed when special load situations are
>> | encountered." He then pointed to updatedb as something that typically
>> | triggers slab defragmentation on his systems...
>> `----
>>
>> http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Slab_Defragmentation
>>
>> Some new bit and examples of CFS here:
>>
>> http://lkmltimes.brucalipto.org/announce/deskopt-005-completely-unfai...
>>
>> Related:
>>
>> Ext3 File System for performance in Windows
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | As an idea that was sparked by using a shared Ext3 File System between a
>> | dual boot of Ubuntu and Windows, what would happen if you went as far as
>> | installing Windows-native games on that shared Ext3 partition? Think of the
>> | benefits: no need to defragment that massive Hard Disk of yours every now
>> | and again. This guide will update as I experiment more.
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | I think this idea would work very well for any program/game with a
>> | large amount of files, due to Ext3's more streamlined architecture.
>> |
>> | As I say, I'm just experimenting with this, but it's working very
>> | well.
>> `----
>>
>> http://mazza558.googlepages.com/home
>
> I think Microsoft should patent the requirement to defragment a hard
> disk.  As far as I know, no other OS saves to disk in such an
> arbitrarily wasteful fashion.  Every HDD I've ever had to defrag has
> belonged to a Windows system.  The need to defrag is perhaps
> Microsoft's unchallenged contribution to the science of inefficiency.

Well, it helps to sell hard drives, of course, so I'm sure seagate,
hitachi, western digital and co are all very happy indeed with both FAT
and NTFS.

Personally, I can't really see the point of improving windows in this
way, I would anticipate it likely resulting in people being more likely
to stick with windows than migrate to a proper operating system.