[News] [OT] Dirty Little Tricks at Facebook-Soft and Dell-Soft

  • Subject: [News] [OT] Dirty Little Tricks at Facebook-Soft and Dell-Soft
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 12:54:57 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Facebook spills the beans on users

,----[ Quote ]
| There's nothing wrong with the idea of letting people choose to be found
| through search engines, but existing users may feel betrayed by Facebook's
| opt-out policy.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/14346/1054/

Dell founder 'unaware' of company's financial shenanigans

,----[ Quote ]
| Speaking of backlogged product, he also addressed the delays plaguing new XPS
| and Inspiron notebooks, but curiously there was no mention of paint-related
| problems.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9772374-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. He also pulls an Apple. Steve jobs
was in a similar situation just months ago.

Related:

Dell accounting probe finds possible 'misconduct'

,----[ Quote ]
| Last year analyst firm Friedman Billings Ramsey criticized the
| way Dell accounted for warranties, saying the company used an
| "unusual" method for accounting for the money it takes in from
| warranty sales and the money it reserves to handle expected
| warranty claims.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6171818.html

Investors sue Dell on payments from Intel: WSJ

,----[ Quote ]
| An investor lawsuit seeking class-action status accuses Dell Inc. of
| improper accounting in its relationship with chip giant Intel,
| according to a media report published Thursday evening.
|
| [...]
|
| The suit alleges that Dell received at times as much as $1 billion
| a year in "secret and likely illegal" kickbacks in the form of
| "e-Cap" or "exception to corporate average pricing" payments"
| from Intel to ensure that Dell used no other chip supplier,
| according to The Journal.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/investors-sue-dell-payments-intel/story.aspx?guid=%7B400315B0%2DE375%2D4920%2DB300%2D784220BEFE35%7D&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo

Microsoft + Novell + Wal-Mart +Ubuntu + Dell = Conspiracy ?

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell supposedly gets pounded by a hoard of folks demanding they come
| up with a Linux box. Dell goes back and forth and finally gives in,
| announcing they will use Ubuntu. Than Dell does a strange thing and
| joins in the Microsoft-Novell alliance.
`----

http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/blade/2007/05/26/microsoft-novell-wal-mart-ubuntu-dell-a-conspiracy/

Apple's Jobs brushes aside backdating concerns

,----[ Quote ]
| After presiding over a 50 percent rise in Apple's stock over the
| past year, CEO Steve Jobs can afford to shrug off shareholder
| questions about stock option backdating and environmental policies.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-6182965.html

Apple board backs Jobs against ex-CFO allegations shock

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple's Board of Directors is backing CEO Steve Jobs after former
| CFO Fred Anderson accused Jobs approving the company's stock
| option backdating. Anderson settled civil charges against him
| Tuesday without admitting any guilt, but agreeing to pay back
| approximately $3.5m to make up for personal gains in the scandal.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/25/apple_q2_revenues_2007/

Options troubles aren't over for Apple

,----[ Quote ]
| But one of the accused -- former Chief Financial Officer Fred Anderson --
| pointed a finger at his former boss, Steve Jobs, raising new accusations
| that experts say could land Jobs in some legal hot water if true.
|
| [...]
|
| Gene Munster, a financial analyst at Piper Jaffray, said Anderson's
| accusations will fuel investors' worries over Jobs and his critical role in
| Apple's continued success.
|
| "It gives the appearance that, 'I had a partner in crime and it was Steve
| Jobs,'" Munster said.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070425/ap_on_hi_te/apple_stock_options

Lawsuit seeks to shut down Facebook

,----[ Quote ]
| The lawsuit's allegations against Zuckerberg include fraud, copyright
| infringement and misappropriation of trade secrets. It asks the court to shut
| down Facebook and give control of the company and its assets to ConnectU's
| founders.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070725/ap_on_hi_te/facebook_lawsuit

Microsoft's past stock options practice poses questions

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft in 1999 announced that it would end a policy of awarding
| options at monthly lows and said it would take a $217 million charge,
| though many details of that discontinued practice haven't been widely
| known, The Wall Street Journal said Friday.
|
| Those details raise questions about how Microsoft began the practice,
| what prompted the company to end it and whether the way the options
| were dated--at 30-day lows the month after they were
| granted--influenced other companies, it said.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6084617.html

Facebook teams with Amazon

,----[ Quote ]