[News] US Patent Reform Vote Coming This Friday

  • Subject: [News] US Patent Reform Vote Coming This Friday
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 00:09:08 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
House May Vote on Patent Reform Friday

,----[ Quote ]
| "We've spent three Congresses on this," said Steve Elmendorf, a lobbyist for
| the Coalition for Patent Fairness, a group of technology companies, such as
| Microsoft, Apple Inc. and Cisco Systems Inc., that favor the legislation.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070904/patent_reform_house.html?.v=1

More new stuff:

Getting Back to Patent Application Bug Spraying...

,----[ Quote ]
| For sure I don't want any patents getting approved that might be used against
| FOSS someday because I wasn't paying attention. My worry is that because we
| have been busy elsewhere, the Microsoft patent submission might slide by, get
| approved by default despite there being prior art we neglected to mention,
| and then the FUD machine can start up about how it's now a super strong
| patent that made it through a FOSS community examination.

Microsoft Win in Court May Cut Chances in Congress

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp.'s success in reversing a $1.52 billion trial loss was the
| latest in a series of court victories that may undermine its chance for broad
| changes in U.S. patent law this year.
`----

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=a2Pj9tY1E1cA&refer=news

Broadcom wins antitrust appeal against Qualcomm

,----[ Quote ]
| Broadcom's lawsuit accused Qualcomm of breaking a pledge to the standards
| board to be fair when licensing patents for technology it owned. That
| technology has been adopted as an industry standard to promote
| interoperability among handsets and carriers.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1035_22-6206044.html

Recent:

Microsoft, Eolas settle patent dispute

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has settled a long-running and expensive lawsuit with Eolas
| Technologies, a start-up backed by the University of California that alleged
| Internet Explorer infringed a patent.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9769483-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Microsoft, IBM Sued over Patent Infringement

,----[ Quote ]
| JuxtaComm also has provisional patents for a system and method of managing
| and updating data from a number of sources for a project, and for a system
| and method of controlling and monitoring an application in a network—
| methodologies and software likely used by any number of software vendors.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2177341,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594

Related:

http://antitrust.slated.org/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/3000/PX03020.pdf