Re: [News] US Patent Reform Vote Coming This Friday

____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 06 September 2007 14:47 : \____

>> House May Vote on Patent Reform Friday
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| "We've spent three Congresses on this," said Steve Elmendorf, a lobbyist
>>| for the Coalition for Patent Fairness, a group of technology companies,
>>| such as Microsoft, Apple Inc. and Cisco Systems Inc., that favor the
>>| legislation.
>> `----
>>
>> http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070904/patent_reform_house.html?.v=1
>
> Would those names really be doing anything in the public interest?  It
> doesn't seem all that likely.

You want them to include small companies?! Are you out of your mind? :-)

US 'Innovation' panel excludes small companies...

Commerce Secretary names Schramm to innovation panel

,----[ Quote ]
| He will be part of a lineup that includes the Microsoft Corp. CEO
| Steve Ballmer, 3M CEO George Buckley, UPS Chairman and CEO Michael Eskew,
| IBM CEO Samuel Palmisano and Wal-Mart Stores Vice Chairman John
| Menzer.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/061206/1386414.html?.v=2

Big businesses boast of patent benefits, for small businesses

,----[ Quote ]
| A report published by an EU task force on intellectual property claims
| that small businesses benefit from a patent system, despite lacking
| almost any participation by the small business community.
|
| Instead, the report, titled IPR (intellectual property rights) for
| competitiveness and innovation, was written up almost entirely by
| large corporations and the patent industry.
|
| [...]
|
| The report does note objections from the likes of patentfrei.de and
| Sun Microsystems, which were recorded at some length in the report.
| But this does not appear to have impacted the conclusion of the
| report in any way
|
| [...]
|
| Jean-Pierre Laisne, of ObjectWeb, an open source software community,
| said that he found the report useless: participants were told that
| all their contributions would be recorded but at the end only
| those of Business Software Alliance and Microsoft were used.
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/99155/big-businesses-boast-of-patent-benefits-for-small-businesses.html

To me, this seems like corruption. Who does one complain to?

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9769483-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

>> Microsoft, IBM Sued over Patent Infringement
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| JuxtaComm also has provisional patents for a system and method of managing
>>| and updating data from a number of sources for a project, and for a system
>>| and method of controlling and monitoring an application in a network?
>>| methodologies and software likely used by any number of software vendors.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2177341,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594
>>

>> Related:
>>
>> http://antitrust.slated.org/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/3000/PX03020.pdf

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Windows XP: Dude, where's my RAM?
 15:05:01 up 30 days, 17:58,  5 users,  load average: 0.76, 1.12, 0.95