[News] Virtualised Linux Success Stories and Increased Industy Support

  • Subject: [News] Virtualised Linux Success Stories and Increased Industy Support
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 03:33:39 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Virtualization/Linux Success Story for SMB

,----[ Quote ]
| I have been working with a small business that is a broker/Realtor office in
| Lees Summit, MO. They also provide property management for low-income
| housing. They are not a company that has money flowing for IT purchases. As a
| matter of fact, one of the challenges I was given right off the bat was to
| figure out how to re-utilize what they had for computers. I saw an immediate
| solution for virtualization and Linux.
`----

http://www.velocitywebdev.com/?p=29

Dunes unveils SMB-ready virtual appliances

,----[ Quote ]
| The company this week announced it had scaled down its VS-O to provide the
| underlying technology for two virtual appliances: VS-O Lifecycle and VS-O
| Desktop. The virtual appliances each include a Linux operating system, a
| database, a directory service and a preinstalled library of processes and
| connectors into other systems.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/090407-dunes-smb-virtual-appliances.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

VMware to Face Citrix/XenSource Challenge

,----[ Quote ]
| I also took into account the fact that the same Linux companies that have
| buried the x86 Unix companies—Red Hat and Novell/SUSE at the top of the list—
| were the same ones that were pushing Xen forward. If I had had the space to
| go into a long-winded discussion of VMware's open-source rivals, I would have
| mentioned one problem with them. From where I sit, only OpenVZ, which is
| backed by SWsoft, has shown a lot in the way of business smarts.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2171394,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000616

Novell has an announcement (new direction perhaps).

Virtual Iron Integrates SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 Kernel and Drivers from
Novell in Latest Version of Its Platform; Raises the Bar on Reliability,
Security and Support

,----[ Quote ]
| With this agreement, Virtual Iron users can now take advantage of Novell's
| unparalleled support matrix for data center server and storage systems and
| enterprise-class global support capabilities.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070904/20070904005772.html?.v=1

There's also this:

THUS launches virtualisation as rivals mock

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=9974

Related:

Swsoft plots buying spree

,----[ Quote ]
| The world+dog are lining up to kick Microsoft’s Viridian hypervisor, only
| likely to arrive at the back end of next year and with some features
| surgically removed, but Beloussov says the race isn’t to the swift.
|
| "I don’t think it’s in massive trouble," he said. "It's the Microsoft model
| not to innovate. Being first to market doesn’t matter."

Microsoft flip-flops on Vista virtualization

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6191787.html