Re: [News] [Rival] Edinburgh's Council Locks Itself in to Microsoft's Monopoly

> ____/ 7 on Friday 31 August 2007 21:50 : \____
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Britian is a lost case and Gordon Brown helps it. Vista is again rejected
>>> however.
>>>
>>> Edinburgh's Microsoft-based overhaul delivers ROI in 14 months
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>
>> Its future proof income gravy train for micoshaft corporation
>> at the expense of the tax payer.
>> I can bet that these companies and government agencies have
>> got into bed and signed a multi-million deal which they can't cancel
>> without illegally charging back the tax payers in fines!!!
>> Lots of back handers would have been traded to get to
>> this cosy gravy train situation going between them.
>>
>> Over taxation of the tax payer should always lead to revolt.
>>
>> The future has always been open source and most governments
>> accept it and have moved to open source in a big way.
>> Future proofing means open sourcing it with open transparent government.
>
> The UK seems like a lost case, for now. The change will come from (and start
> in) other countries such as France and Italy, whose government is moving to
> GNU/Linux.
>
> Based on what I hear from an open source consultancy here, Brown et al help
> Microsoft shove the momma of all lockins (SharePoint and its appendage) into
> UK business. This raises the exit barriers (from lockin).
>
> The BBC, National Archives, and the British Library are in Microsoft's pocket
> as well.

It's not all bad.  Oxford council are using IBM servers in their
education networks running Red Hat, and I recall that Birmingham Council
has been deploying OpenOffice, and I think that even the Kent police
force has been looking at open-source, although I'm not sure of the
details.

The real issue is that we have loads of pseudo-graduates coming out of
universities with "degrees" which are more or less worthless, but
they're put into responsible jobs which they really have zero chance of
delivering against, so they do the "low-risk" option, they shell out
millions upon millions of council tax revenue to foreign companies to
lock themselves in.

Even Newham council had a chance to get it right, but failed.  Anyway,
there is some open-source going into the NHS project :-)