Re: COLA Stats: Saturday the 18th of August, 2007.

____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 04 September 2007 08:59 : \____

> <snip>
>>
>> I'm still tempted by MEPIS myself, maybe even Debian (from which MEPIS is
>> once again derived, after it threw out Ubuntu).
>>
>> Choice is great. It also forces those that play not to act selfishly.
>> There's virtually no lock-in. Once strike and you're out.
                                    ^ typo

> It very much depends on what you're doing with your machines, and in
> particular, if you've anything "binary-only" floating around, or any
> single-sourced peripheral type which cannot readily be replaced.

Watch tomorrow's news. I have some insider information.

> Having the OS as GPLed software makes a huge improvement to the lock-in
> risk, but it doesn't eliminate it, especially if you've got binary
> drivers in there.
>
> It's all about the height of the exit barrier, the cost of exit,
> compared with staying with your existing vendor.

A few months ago, in Matt Asay's blog, IIRC, I read about investors raising
some ugly questions like "yeah, but what's your lock-in strategy?".
Apparently, being kind to the customer is no longer as important as
imprisoning as many customers as one can.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    $> apt-get -not windows