[News] Microsoft Only Controls (Not Purchses) Xen$o[urce|oft] by Proxy

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft Only Controls (Not Purchses) Xen$o[urce|oft] by Proxy
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 13:49:20 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Welcoming the New Kid on the Software Block

,----[ Quote ]
| VMware's biggest rival, in other words, is being acquired by a company with
| deeper pockets, a large customer set and ties to the only other outfit that
| VMware has to worry about: the big boys up in Redmond. (Analysts at the 451
| Group, a research firm, last week speculated that Microsoft might buy Citrix,
| but Citrix officials downplay the idea.)
`----

http://online.barrons.com/article/SB118681250190995079.html?mod=yahoobarrons&ru=yahoo

Virtual Iron Gussies Up Virtualization Offering

,----[ Quote ]
| To help get the virtualization-shy, first-timer in the door, it offers its
| Version 4 Single Server Edition gratis. This package provides one virtual
| CPU, up to 12 virtual servers, local disk storage and access to the Novell
| SLES 10 kernel and drivers, giving users all the benefits of complete Novell
| certification and support for all hardware supported by Novell in SUSE Linux
| Enterprise Server.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/ent-news/article.php/3697496

Related:

Will Microsoft Buy the New Citrix?

,----[ Quote ]
| VMware, holding some 85 percent of the market, with its VI3 technologies
| offers a fully integrated stack and represents a third generation of
| virtualization technology, while Viridian and Xen-based products, including
| SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5, XenEnterprise
| and Virtual Iron, remain second-generation products, the report stated.

What the XenSource deal says about open source

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/08/what_the_xensou.html