Re: Open Source and Linux Are Booming in American Schools (K-12)

____/ John Bailo, Texeme.Construct on Monday 03 September 2007 18:13 : \____

> On Aug 31, 4:41 pm, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> Open sourceboomingin K-12 education
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | An eSchools report (right) says open source spending is growing 70% per
>> | year, and will be up 800% in 2011 from last year's level.
>> `----
>>
>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1376
>>
>> Report (beef) here:
>>
>> http://www.eschoolnews.com/news/showStoryRSS.cfm?ArticleID=7325
>>
>> Related:
>>
>> U.S. schools may join inexpensive laptop project
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | A project that aims to deliver low-priced laptops with string pulleys
>> | to the world's poorest children may have a new market: U.S. schools.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSN2642385520070426
>
> As I've been saying, this is another dagger in the heart of Apple --
> which depends on gullible schools spending on its "discounted" (yet
> still overpriced" products.
>
> As Linux Fever sweeps the campus, it will be kaput.

Vendor choice should be a factor as well. *Both* hardware and software. Less
dependability is important for public education.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: 21978 x 4 = 21978 backwards
Swap:  1510068k total,   582440k used,   927628k free,    60756k cached